Eating Problems

Going to mentioning eating habits and not eating; if that could upset you please do not read further! I wasn't sure what category this kind of post should be in, so I've put it here.

For a while now, I've been having difficulty with my eating habits.
This has been a problem of mine since around high school, where I would skip meals because I was so exhausted; but it has really ramped up this past year. I find it difficult to recognize when I'm hungry, and I skip meals frequently.
It's not uncommon for me not to eat in a day. I also feel like my appetite has drastically decreased, and I don't find much joy in eating anymore. I just cannot tell when I am hungry anymore.

I've lost a significant amount of weight because of this, and it's starting to concern my family when I skip meals and say I don't feel hungry.
I think my depression has part of why this is happening, but I'm not sure. I think it might have to do with my emotional blindness too.

Has anybody else had this problem, and what helps them with this? I'm open to any suggestions or your stories, they'd help me a lot in not feeling alone in this. Thank you.

• This is something I can relate to. Mine occurs with both food and drink - generally drink is a bigger issue for me now - I never feel thirsty and it's led to a lot of health problems for me now. 

Many people struggle with their eating habits, and it can be really frustrating. However, there are things that you can do to improve your eating habits and get back on track. One thing that you can do is to start paying attention to your hunger cues. When do you feel hungry? What are the signs that your body is telling you that it needs food? Once you know what your hunger cues are, you can start to pay attention to them and eat when you're hungry. Another thing that you can do is to make sure that you're eating regular meals and snacks throughout the day. This will help to keep your blood sugar levels stable and prevent you from getting too hungry or too full. If you find it difficult to eat regular meals, you can try setting reminders on your phone or computer. You can also try to find a friend or family member who can help you stay on track.

Finally, if you're still struggling with your eating habits, you may want to consider talking to a doctor or therapist. They can help you to understand the underlying causes of your eating problems and develop a plan to help you overcome them.

I use phone app reminders and have a therapist who helps me as well as she believes it's partially a mental problem with me - not sure about that but if she can help then great!

• I went through this few times in my life. Periodically I get constantly hungry, later to not feel any hunger to the point, that I feel faint and fall because I skip meals, forget them or food seems so awful to me that I can’t even touch or smell it. I also have problems recognising my emotions. Just few years ago I started figuring out what I actually felt years ago as a kid and teenager and that I was angry and frustrated for not being able to recognise and verbalise what I actually want and feel. I heard that it’s poor interoception - one of our senses (awareness of one’s body) it often affects autistic people in many ways. How I deal with it - I use my own preferences to routine to build a healthy routine and eat something even if I’m not hungry (something light and not much, just a little) I also try to drink more. Often turns out if I eat something little like apple or drink a tea, then I start feeling some hunger to have some more meal. 

• I also don't get hungry, but in my case I'm scared of food. It's a daily struggle. 

• Hi

I have had the opposite in the past, where I continually wanted to eat. I seemed to be hungry all the time and mostly wanted lots of carbs, and as my weight went up I just bought bigger clothing. It started when I was working full time and studying in the evenings and so was also exhausted - it seems people can go one way or the other with food in response to that type of stress.

After a couple of years I moved to a new town - I was no longer studying, but still working full time, tired all the time, and eating too much. When I registered at a new medical centre I was asked to attend a check up appointment and this included being weighed - as I had no scales I was rather shocked at how much I weighed. The very nice doctor kindly advised that it would be healthy for me to lose a bit of weight and asked if I would like a referral to a dietician - I thanked her but said I would like to try on my own first.

That was when nutrition and how it is linked to health became my new special interest. I worked out my own diet plan and was able to reach a healthy weight in about 6 or 7 months. The indigestion and heartburn I had been experiencing stopped too, and I had more energy.

Obviously your goal is the opposite to what mine was, but in a way the principle is the same - finding a way to eat regular, appropriately sized, nourishing meals that give you energy and keep you well. I keep to a healthy weight now by eating several smaller meals & snacks during each day, and start with natural yoghurt for breakfast, which is high protein and feeds the good bacteria in your gut.

Perhaps learning more about nutrition and why your body needs good food to function properly might help? Exercise in the fresh air may also increase your appetite, but don't do too much - just try a 10-15 minute walk each day if you can. If you forget to eat, maybe you could set a timer to remind you to have a snack at set times.

If you feel that your mental health is at the root of the problem, see your GP and try to get help with that. Your health is very important, and I wish you well.

• ^*Going to be mentioning