aspergers and personality disorder

Hi

Has anyone else out there been diagnosed with both aspergers and personality disorder.  I suffer from depression and had a challenging upbringing and was diagnosed with personality disorder 3 and half years ago, recently i was assessed by the personality disorder people to say I had aspergers traits although they wont/cant give me a proper diagnosis.

I was told that people with aspergers should not have psychotherapy , in fact it was dangerous.  I feel that i am being treated as if having aspergers means that my experiences in childhood can not affect me as my brain works different.

The whole thing has been really unpleasant experience.  I was bullied for the first 2 and half years of group therapy by 2 women, the staff didnt believe me, even though some of it was going on in front of them.  It was only when these two unpleasant women left that other members of the group spoke out as they were scared of being bullied themselves.

I have found myself feeling an outsider, the psychiatrists idea of someone with aspergers is the big bang theory. 

Actually the whole experience has been unpleasant , of the 3 and half years I have been going 3 years have been dealing with bullies. because I am stupid and have to keep to routines, I kept going back. I kept hoping things would get better.

I have only just started to deal with the aspergers and  also my past, but i feel so angry that I leave in 6 months and have not dealt with a lot of issuses other than survive.

Am I on my own with aspergers and personality issues

Parents
  • If you are female, the statistics show that there is a high likelihood of you having been misdiagnosed.  Common misdiagnoses of Asperger's women are BPD, social anxiety, generalised anxiety, OCD, ADHD, schizotypal personality disorder, schizoid personality disorder, etc.

I personally find psychiatrists often arrogant and looking for stereotypical autism symptoms and sadly underexperienced in female presentation.

You could look at my stickied thread about assessment in adults and then approach your GP for a referral for an ASC assessment specifically/second opinion.

It is vital that any clinician does not focus on childhood trauma as a sole reason for behaviours.  Many people on the spectrum suffer childhood trauma because of being on the spectrum.

• If you are female, the statistics show that there is a high likelihood of you having been misdiagnosed.  Common misdiagnoses of Asperger's women are BPD, social anxiety, generalised anxiety, OCD, ADHD, schizotypal personality disorder, schizoid personality disorder, etc.

I personally find psychiatrists often arrogant and looking for stereotypical autism symptoms and sadly underexperienced in female presentation.

You could look at my stickied thread about assessment in adults and then approach your GP for a referral for an ASC assessment specifically/second opinion.

It is vital that any clinician does not focus on childhood trauma as a sole reason for behaviours.  Many people on the spectrum suffer childhood trauma because of being on the spectrum.

Children
No Data