Off work due to autistic burnout

Hi everyone,

I am on a secondment at work which means I have got a contract in my workplace in another department, however the secondment I am on is a 'taster' so to speak.

I was diagnosed as autistic this year (looking for an ADHD assessment as well!) So I sent my work amendments to my work place in May and still nothing has been put in place. I was assigned a mentor, however things have been very off and on and due to how busy work is, this person is juggling their own work load so I am sometimes not the first priority.

I was on annual leave for a week and came back to chaos! So many tasks at once, queries hadn't been answered even though a colleague of mine tried their best. I'm not even joking about 6 different tasks had deadlines of that day and it was just too much. I couldn't remember what I had said, what I had done and I was basically a cabbage because my brain just couldn't take the overload of tasks and expectations. I think this has been made worse by my annual Leave and the time of year at work but it doesn't help.

I sent an email to my leads explaining there were too many tasks for my brain to handle and they know I am autistic and they didn't even reply to my email. I understand people are busy however it was very disappointing.

I keep worrying that I would get penalised for taking time off work due to autistic burnout and I have PCOS which has caused me to have a period for a month straight and heavy at that. I have anxiety, depression, autism, possible ADHD, PTSD and BDD. Being on a secondment as well makes me worry that they will think I cannot do my job but I can! Just coming back from tha annual leave has really been too much.

They cannot penalise me for the autistic burnout and time off work can they?

Thanks x

Parents
  • They cannot penalise me for the autistic burnout and time off work can they?

What employers can or cannot do depends upon your contract and the Terms and Conditions.

So, are you a direct employee or a contractor etc?

Do you have a set amount of paid sick leave?

Do you have anything in your Contract appertaining to how much sick leave you can take before any action can be taken against you etc?

I worked for years as a contractor, so my paid sick leave was around 10 days a year.

However, within the same company, the employees could have months at a time.

Another issue is being signed off by a GP.

I think there's a certain period where you are self-certificated, then your GP would need to write a sick-note, which I assume would be fine?

Also, perhaps it might be useful if you could define 'penalise'.

Unfortunately, even if the rules allow for time off, there can be some penalising after, which I've experienced, which may not be within rules but a part of managers ways of operating.

Again, if you are in a decent company/institution with a good manager, then that shouldn't happen.

• They cannot penalise me for the autistic burnout and time off work can they?

What employers can or cannot do depends upon your contract and the Terms and Conditions.

So, are you a direct employee or a contractor etc?

Do you have a set amount of paid sick leave?

Do you have anything in your Contract appertaining to how much sick leave you can take before any action can be taken against you etc?

I worked for years as a contractor, so my paid sick leave was around 10 days a year.

However, within the same company, the employees could have months at a time.

Another issue is being signed off by a GP.

I think there's a certain period where you are self-certificated, then your GP would need to write a sick-note, which I assume would be fine?

Also, perhaps it might be useful if you could define 'penalise'.

Unfortunately, even if the rules allow for time off, there can be some penalising after, which I've experienced, which may not be within rules but a part of managers ways of operating.

Again, if you are in a decent company/institution with a good manager, then that shouldn't happen.

Children
No Data