Vaccines/learning disabilities: eligibility

I'm confused.

I've been invited for a 'flu vaccine even though I'm not within any of the vulnerable groups.

The invite states the '18-64 'at risk' group.

So, I just wondered whether autism is classed as a 'learning disability' with respect to this, as that is a 'vulnerable group' in the NHS list.

As far as I'm aware, autism is classed as a developmental disability but you can also have a learning disability with it.

Some do, some don't.

This has also set me wondering whether I will now be invited for a Covid vaccine on the same grounds.

Does anyone have any light to shed on this please (and has anyone else been unexpectedly invited to the Vaccine Party)?

Thanks.

Parents
  • I had my jab today and this conversation. 

Nurse: why have you been invited?

Me: no idea.

Nurse: you must know.

Me: well I don't.  It may be that I am autistic. 

Nurse looks it up in a book.

Then: I think it's the autism even though you are obviously very high functioning. 

Me thinks: you won't think that if I slap you.

Nurse: it comes under neurological conditions. 

However.... I looked it up and it says 'disease' not 'condition'.

• Then: I think it's the autism even though you are obviously very high functioning. 

Me thinks: you won't think that if I slap you.

I'm tempted to wish you had. I hate it when people make assumptions about functioning.

An autistic person may be able to function well in one environment but completely unable to function in another, like an medical appointment for instance. There are good reasons why functioning labels are not usually assigned during the diagnostic process in the UK Unamused

You shouldn't have had to face the Spanish Inquisition about why you were there when they invited you. As if the appointment isn't stressful enough without having to endure that.

Once you'd mentioned the autism the nurse could have apologised for not noticing that on your records and asked how they could make the process easier for you.

You are right that autism isn't a disease. If the medical professionals don't understand their own guidelines what hope is there for us.

• Yep to everything you say ... no wonder it's so traumatic having anything medical done ...

Reply Children
No Data