Any Success stories in favour of Functional Medicine to improve symptoms?

Hello, 

My son is 6 and is autistic with severe speech and behavioural delays. Progress is slow and inconsistent. 

I have been looking into Functional Medicine - basically a  holistic approach to treat chronic disease, with a focus on nutrition.

I was wondering if any one in the UK has had success with the numerous "clinics" available on the market or with nutritional approach in general to improve the condition? 

Thank you. 

Parents
  • I have been looking into Functional Medicine - basically a  holistic approach to treat chronic disease, with a focus on nutrition.

Can you expand on the chronic disease part please? This will have a bearing on advice we can offer.

With this medicine being in its early stages I would be very wary of any not affliliated with mainstream medical partners  simply because the emerging fields are often full of charlatans trying to make money off "pseudo science". That is to say they make up their own colclusions without medical rigour and peddle it for lots of money.

I understand the field of medicine you refer to and it has promising applications, but have you considered trying to create your own balanced diet, free from additives, for your son? It would seem a very sensible approach to start with as it eliminates most of the ingredients that are considered to be a problem.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has first hand experience of this over a sustained period of time.

• I have been looking into Functional Medicine - basically a  holistic approach to treat chronic disease, with a focus on nutrition.

Can you expand on the chronic disease part please? This will have a bearing on advice we can offer.

With this medicine being in its early stages I would be very wary of any not affliliated with mainstream medical partners  simply because the emerging fields are often full of charlatans trying to make money off "pseudo science". That is to say they make up their own colclusions without medical rigour and peddle it for lots of money.

I understand the field of medicine you refer to and it has promising applications, but have you considered trying to create your own balanced diet, free from additives, for your son? It would seem a very sensible approach to start with as it eliminates most of the ingredients that are considered to be a problem.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has first hand experience of this over a sustained period of time.

Children
  • Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply. 

By chronic disease I mean that the field has shown great promise in treating type 2 diabetes, auto immune conditions, heart disease and others. And as of recently claims to massively improve Autism symptoms. I have seen testimonials of non verbal kids just having a swich flicked and becoming significantly more high functioning. 

On your second point, I get it. The moment I research such a clinic and I see them use the word "cure" in regards to Autism I just stop reading :). And there are several in the UK. But I owe it to my son as his father to dig under every rock for that gold nugget that would improve their quality of life. But at the same time that has to be done with eyes wide open. 

We are trying to work as much as we can towards introducing a healthy diet with my son but he is an extremely picky eater so we use general supplements like Vitamin D, Fish Oil but I would rather not stuff him up with any more until I am aware of his particular circumstances and deficiencies. The field promises tests that would narrow down those deficiencies and address them is a holistic way (and by holistic I don't mean crystals and energy plates :) )  As I know there is no one solution fits all, the prospect of that insight is what sparks my interest in the field.