What to drink

I've been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and been advised to stop drinking coca cola because it's making the UC worse and further causing me harm so my doctor says.

But the thing is what else can I drink? Cola tastes amazing and I feel less stressed when I drink it and it gives me the extra energy I need during the day. Water just tastes gross and I don't like tea or coffee. I've always had a sweet tooth and the last couple of years cola has been my only drink and now I've got to cut it out.

What do you drink?

Any suggestions on a sweet tasting drink I can try to see if I like?

I've always struggled with food and drink. Five years ago I didn't drink enough and now I'm drinking too much of the sugary stuff which my doctor says likely contributed to my UC.

But there's little tasty drinks out there I've found.

Parents Reply Children
  • water water water! 

Unfortunately I believe the OP mentioned on another thread on this subject that they do not like the taste of water.

Thinking about this, it makes sense as I recall often drinking tap water and finding it tasted of chlorine or worse.

Short term I think bottled water is worth trying as it should have no taste at all. While boring and lacking in stimulants such as you get in colas, it is highly recommended by medical professionals as an effective way to maintain hydration and reduce the effect of the sugars and caffeine that colas normaly have.

@Diamond you may consider treating water as a necessity to drink rather than a pleasure which cola seems to be for you now. It will improve your health and be cheaper on the pocket so you can still have the occasional treat to make up for it.

I don't think there is a like-for-like alternative unfortunately.

IF you can tolerate the water then you can try a water filter to take most of the bad taste from tap water. Long term this is quite cost effective.

At the end of the day you need to decide what to drink but the clear consensus here would indicate water is the best / cheapest / most cost effective / most sustainable option for you,

Disclaimer - this is not professional medical advice.