Anxiety never stops

Is there anyone here for whom anxiety literally never stops? During waking hours I mean. I’d say that beyond the lingering after effects of sleep - lasting for considerably less time than any lie in, perhaps a few minutes- I’m soon into a baseline of fairly steady anxiety, from which more intense spikes could and do at any moment erupt as small or large triggers or thoughts have their effect over the day. 

Is this unusual? For there to be practically zero absence of ‘the fear’ for any significant period of time except when unconscious or on the threshold of that state? I think it only ever gives me a proper reprieve when I get a really bad cold or flu or something. When the parasympathetic nervous system just goes into offline mode out of sheer necessity. Sometimes I’m glad to get ill as it’s a holiday from the terror. Which can sometimes be so intense (at least every few days) that it feels like barely an exaggeration to say that most ordinary people would only be in that internal state if their plane was attempting an emergency landing ir they were in an unfolding car crash. Except drawn out over hours until staying awake is no longer possible. Thank goodness for the temporary oblivion of losing consciousness. Without it my nerves would never be rested. Am I alone in this? I’m calmer when alone usually (at least initially), but ruminating starts up in those conditions too. And some of my most distressed states can be in either setting -invisibly overwhelming me on the inside (masked) while in company or public, or unseen (and less masked to myself) in private 

Parents
  • Shardovan, I am saddened that you find your anxiety to be mostly all-consuming. My own anxiety seems to fluctuate from one extreme to the other. As I've got older, I've become aware that when my anxiety is bad, it can feel considerably more debilitating than it did when I was younger.

• Shardovan, I am saddened that you find your anxiety to be mostly all-consuming. My own anxiety seems to fluctuate from one extreme to the other. As I've got older, I've become aware that when my anxiety is bad, it can feel considerably more debilitating than it did when I was younger.

Children
No Data