What information do professionals have?

This might be one for the Moderators to look into, but I wonder if others have insight on this.

I've had several conversations recently with professionals dealing with adults on the spectrum who've just spouted the triad of impairments, or who've said its all in the triad of impairments.

With all the literature on theories about autism and various interpretations, and approaches to treatment, I could quite understand professionals looking for the easiest synthesis to hand.  But what is to hand? Is it just too easy to read up on the triad and related summaries? Or is there nothing else to hand for professionals to use.

The Triad of Impairments, as far as I can see, is of no more value than for diagnosing children. It has little relevance to the everyday lives and experiences of adults, and is hardly appropriate to helping professionals understand adult needs.

It doesn't explain a lot of issues facing adults.

But just what are the main texts used by professionals? And how useful are these texts for supporting adults?

Parents
  • @Anil A: how can the government tackle the attitudes of the staff in the NHS and other public organisations?  There is a culture of passing the buck, lack of culpability, drone-like inaction and lack of awareness of their responsibilities (and no desire to increase awareness) at every level.

Even the commissioning managers of both adult and children's services in my area have this attitude.  They do not bring to task their own failing services or enforce corrective action.

The government can't change how people think, and they will always find ways round doing what they are supposed to do, by:

• failing to diagnose some people who should be diagnosed to keep the demand on services as low as possible;
    • citing lack of funding and resources;
    • passing responsibility round and round the mulberry bush so no-one actually takes action;
    • spend time having consultations and meetings and producing reports to make it look like they are addressing issues, when in reality all they are doing is discussing them and making recommendations that never see the light of day.

And if the government doesn't ensure there is the available funding for what is needed, what's the point of them pushing local authorities to do anything?

• @Anil A: how can the government tackle the attitudes of the staff in the NHS and other public organisations?  There is a culture of passing the buck, lack of culpability, drone-like inaction and lack of awareness of their responsibilities (and no desire to increase awareness) at every level.

Even the commissioning managers of both adult and children's services in my area have this attitude.  They do not bring to task their own failing services or enforce corrective action.

The government can't change how people think, and they will always find ways round doing what they are supposed to do, by:

• failing to diagnose some people who should be diagnosed to keep the demand on services as low as possible;
    • citing lack of funding and resources;
    • passing responsibility round and round the mulberry bush so no-one actually takes action;
    • spend time having consultations and meetings and producing reports to make it look like they are addressing issues, when in reality all they are doing is discussing them and making recommendations that never see the light of day.

And if the government doesn't ensure there is the available funding for what is needed, what's the point of them pushing local authorities to do anything?

Children
No Data