What information do professionals have?

This might be one for the Moderators to look into, but I wonder if others have insight on this.

I've had several conversations recently with professionals dealing with adults on the spectrum who've just spouted the triad of impairments, or who've said its all in the triad of impairments.

With all the literature on theories about autism and various interpretations, and approaches to treatment, I could quite understand professionals looking for the easiest synthesis to hand.  But what is to hand? Is it just too easy to read up on the triad and related summaries? Or is there nothing else to hand for professionals to use.

The Triad of Impairments, as far as I can see, is of no more value than for diagnosing children. It has little relevance to the everyday lives and experiences of adults, and is hardly appropriate to helping professionals understand adult needs.

It doesn't explain a lot of issues facing adults.

But just what are the main texts used by professionals? And how useful are these texts for supporting adults?

Parents
  • @Longman: I do agree that the veil of secrecy over the professionals forum is odd.  What are they so scared of?  Perhaps there is a fear that if they discuss a particular case, albeit anonymously, that someone might recognise themselves being discussed.  There is a way round that though as they can lock individual groups so that you have to request "entry" and perhaps give more proof of why you want entry and who you are.

I don't even have faith that professionals are reading this forum as guests.  We are just the hoi polloi and have nothing of value to say.  I mean how could we possibly have insight into our own condition.  How could we possibly have ideas to offer that would move research and clinical practice forward.  We are just the dumb "sufferers" of this accursed condition.  I don't think it would occur to them to ask us what we need, and even if it did, what we need would not be funded so there is no point.

I believe, that like academia (and I am sure you will be aware of this in the tiniest detail) that snobbery is rife.  Academic snobbery feeds into professional snobbery as that's where all the academic types go once they have completed their education.  why would they change their mentality.  I have suffered the most appalling and open academic snobbery in the past, that staggered me.  Largely, professionals want us kept separate from them, unless we already happen to be an academic who has proven their worth and then come out as an Aspie later.

We have to know what is good for us, we have to be the guinea pigs being managed and waiting for the cure.

You can bridge that gap Longman, you may find the professionals forum disappoints but it's worth going in to add your tuppenceworth and shake them up a bit.

• @Longman: I do agree that the veil of secrecy over the professionals forum is odd.  What are they so scared of?  Perhaps there is a fear that if they discuss a particular case, albeit anonymously, that someone might recognise themselves being discussed.  There is a way round that though as they can lock individual groups so that you have to request "entry" and perhaps give more proof of why you want entry and who you are.

I don't even have faith that professionals are reading this forum as guests.  We are just the hoi polloi and have nothing of value to say.  I mean how could we possibly have insight into our own condition.  How could we possibly have ideas to offer that would move research and clinical practice forward.  We are just the dumb "sufferers" of this accursed condition.  I don't think it would occur to them to ask us what we need, and even if it did, what we need would not be funded so there is no point.

I believe, that like academia (and I am sure you will be aware of this in the tiniest detail) that snobbery is rife.  Academic snobbery feeds into professional snobbery as that's where all the academic types go once they have completed their education.  why would they change their mentality.  I have suffered the most appalling and open academic snobbery in the past, that staggered me.  Largely, professionals want us kept separate from them, unless we already happen to be an academic who has proven their worth and then come out as an Aspie later.

We have to know what is good for us, we have to be the guinea pigs being managed and waiting for the cure.

You can bridge that gap Longman, you may find the professionals forum disappoints but it's worth going in to add your tuppenceworth and shake them up a bit.

Children
No Data