Free heating (well, nearly) - I'm not cold here this winter for the first time I can remember...

I've been running one of those cheap chinese diesel heaters for a while now, (this is year three) to keep my garage warm in the winter and keep the damp out. 

It works out at 5P a kilowatt hour if you run it off the correct fuel, (red diesel, apparently available form some BP garages) but I already had laid up a stock of kerosene form back when it was 70P a litre, so I was already ahead of the game even before I discovered that you can run the thing off used motor oil, thinned down with either kerosene, stale petrol or diesel...

***SAFETY WARNING*** Do not do this without a great deal more research. Mine made scary noises when being asked to run at full chat whilst swallowing a more experimental fuel at 03:45AM, and I've shut it down pending an investigation tomorrow.. I'm fairly sure that's why there are so many alterable combustion parameters, but this IS both experimental and "frowned upon by the sensible and well adjusted" activity for good reason.    

In ecological terms burning waste oil in one of these isn't so bad as it is effectively a little forced air furnace, although like anything else where the government does not take a huge cut, it is frowned upon.

If you haven't gathered by now, our leaders have great plans for humanity, involving the likes of you and me owning nothing, eating insects and being the carbon (((they))) want to reduce.

Making the basics like heat and food as expensive as possible initially, then later dependent on your "social credit score", is part of the plan, so don;t expect fuel costs to ever noramalise.

Petrol went up to £1 a litre about when oil went to 100$ a barrel, but now oil is price fixed at 60$, did YOU see the price go down??

Being able to surreptiously burn practically any inflammable liquid for heat for 100 quid gives you a bit of respite from the evil clowns who currently direct the course of human events. We've added solar cells and a feed in invertor to reduce our electric bills, plus are controlling consumption more carefully, and I believe that the extra heat being introduce to our house by my alternative heat sources, will cause the Central heating to run at reduced duty cycle.

Electric is 35P per kilowatt hour, Gas is similar these heaters run at 5P a kilowatt hour, or half that if you run 50/50 waste oil/diesel mix. The stale petrol and waste oil I just scored, mixed,  and started using this week costs me NOTHING per kilowatt hour...

I'm working on a system to scavenge heat from the exhaust With a surplus car EGR heat exchanger (10 quid from ebay) and convert it into electricity using a load of peltier elements so I can get rid of the charger.  

(I bought a second spare heater this year, by way of an insurance policy, when they were ridiculously cheap (75 quid) 

NEXT up SOLID FUEL...

I'm desperate for plumbing information if there are any "proper" plumbers out there, as I want to learn how to implement a gravity fed boiler radiator combo, and I also really, really, want to know if I can safely insert a pre-heater into my central heating circuit ahead of my combi boiler. I'm thinking of using a surplus diesel "block heater" as fitted to many cars found in scrapyards, which then means I can pre feed the boiler water that has had some heat already added by means of burning waste oil and solvent rather than american Compressed Natural Gas.

When (if) we get our table top fusion reactor self running, then the problem will be solved for quite a LONG time, but for now, this is as good as it gets in terms of "free energy"...  

Parents
  • people like you are the reason i come here i hope you are storing that kerosene  properly

• Taking a bit of a risk (by my standards) with barrel supported off the ground, and no "bunding" which I don't like, but I draw from the top of the barrel, with a pump on demand, into the smaller heater jerry or tank. So leakage is only possible if the barrel actually fails, which is statistically unlikely. I've a thousand litre "proper" tank in storage waiting to go to my land when I can secure it* so I can take maximum advantage of the pricing that comes when you buy 1000litres at a time.

* I discovered THESE this week, which in conjunction with the correct signage and if employed using the skills the military tried to impart when I was a kid, might well add the security I require...

https://www.henrykrank.com/alarm-mine-h4990/

I've no interest in hurting anyone who tries to steal my stuff, but making them fill their pants, before leaving the scene quickly I can get into...

And only yesterday, I devised a laser toner or vegetable dye filled "bouncing betty" type of DYE mine, propelled upwards by a hilti cartridge, with the payload dispersed with a soda syphon cartridge when the wire goes tight...So one day I might actually be able to own my own minefield! But for now, I can see an alarm mine being exactly what I need to keep my toolshed safe which would mean next year I can restart cleaning up my land. (I have to leave the tools there as parking and unloading is a PITA, including damage to the vehicle happening) Ideally I want to attend by motorcycle and just pick up the tools and work.

• The saltpetre laxative you propose to scare the trespassers.......I have questions, if you will indulge me.

If stage 1 of your cunning plan successfully executes the first time and you successfully scare '7 shades' out of any trespassers by using the mines as proposed (ie with a shotgun blank or sorts)....what then?  I assume they will return again intent on "blowing up" your fuel dump (in my experience, scallywags are actually that dumb - I bet they would waste a box of matches before catching on.) = stage 2.

So that would be [two-:-nil] to the Sperg at that point.

Problem is, what next man?  What is stage 3?

Kids out there these days (and the more seasoned ne'er-do-wells) get properly tooled up these days from what I can gather.  Escalation from the "other side" is a wholly foreseeable outcome if you were to deploy fireworks (literally and metaphorically) at stage 1.

Wise?  I think not - purely in terms of the cartridge blank with 12g of gunpowder lying around on your land.  Kerosene won't blow the face off an inquisitive 7 year old, but a shotgun blank can!

I reckon a creative soul like you could wrestle up a more creative display that could be delivered by your impressively simple trigger line devices.  I reckon you could earn their respect at stages 1 and 2 above with your unquestionable prowess in all matters practical and technological, without the need to resort to black powder.  Red or black Hilti cartridges are fun for thrill-seeking grown-ups with a death wish - but frigging lethal in the hands of adolescents and younger.

Your other aspirational proposition to silo 2.9 million BTU's = I think very wise indeed...in heavy oil format.

God's speed Sperg. = another fine pastry of three words.

NB Terms and Conditions of use regarding this advice are as published and no responsibility, either morally, criminally, religiously or through tort is accepted under UK or international law.  Amen.

• I can reveal this now as I believe the all important Watneys party seven can can no longer be bought...

One takes such a can, opens it with the correct tool (which leaves two triangular openings) and dispose of the beer in a suitable fashion.

When the can is quite empty The desintaed operator simply gives it a good long squirt of lighter butane and you hold the can at arms length initially still carefuly upright and then tipping the can horizontal with one of the two triangular apertures lower than the other.

And as soon as the can is horizontal...

....You apply a naked flame!

Every time I have done this, the can leaves my hand and flies across the room with a most satisfying "WHAAANG" sound, and the onlookers are always suitably impressed...

I'm possibly super lucky and if YOU do it you will bleed to death from the metal shrapnel.

But it's an awesome sound...

• In my late teens, me and a friend were "carefully" spraying WD40 across to top of a candle.  Wisely, we had the candle on a large dinner plate and were using the long red plastic tube on the can to prevent suck-back and can explosion - we even had a pint of water in case of emergency.

All good fun.  No problem - got bored with that and settled back to watch a film in that room, leaving the candle burning, still safely on the dinner plate, on the carpet....where we were both lying out.

Fast forward about 1 hour, candle was nearly out and making the plate hot......the huge quantity of un-burnt WD40 that had missed the candle and soaked into the carpet  suddenly combusted.   We found ourselves lying in a carpet of fire.

A little bit of safety knowledge is a very dangerous thing in youth !.....and carpets....and petrol.....and WD40......and WW2 ammunition....and spergs.

Sleep well.

• In my late teens, me and a friend were "carefully" spraying WD40 across to top of a candle.  Wisely, we had the candle on a large dinner plate and were using the long red plastic tube on the can to prevent suck-back and can explosion - we even had a pint of water in case of emergency.

All good fun.  No problem - got bored with that and settled back to watch a film in that room, leaving the candle burning, still safely on the dinner plate, on the carpet....where we were both lying out.

Fast forward about 1 hour, candle was nearly out and making the plate hot......the huge quantity of un-burnt WD40 that had missed the candle and soaked into the carpet  suddenly combusted.   We found ourselves lying in a carpet of fire.

A little bit of safety knowledge is a very dangerous thing in youth !.....and carpets....and petrol.....and WD40......and WW2 ammunition....and spergs.

Sleep well.

Children
  • I can reveal this now as I believe the all important Watneys party seven can can no longer be bought...

One takes such a can, opens it with the correct tool (which leaves two triangular openings) and dispose of the beer in a suitable fashion.

When the can is quite empty The desintaed operator simply gives it a good long squirt of lighter butane and you hold the can at arms length initially still carefuly upright and then tipping the can horizontal with one of the two triangular apertures lower than the other.

And as soon as the can is horizontal...

....You apply a naked flame!

Every time I have done this, the can leaves my hand and flies across the room with a most satisfying "WHAAANG" sound, and the onlookers are always suitably impressed...

I'm possibly super lucky and if YOU do it you will bleed to death from the metal shrapnel.

But it's an awesome sound...