Autistic adults and food

Hi, 

I was wondering if any other autistic adults with a selective diet have any advice for trying to introduce new foods?

I am now 26 and worry that my restricted diet will affect my health, it also causes issues with my relationships and work. 

Has anyone had any succces with types of therapy/the doctors or is it a case of perseverance? 

Thanks! 

Parents
  • Maybe try a little of one new thing with your usual meals, rather than changing everything at once. Then there's no pressure to eat if you don't like it. When you're feeling stressed or worried, it actually reduces your appetite so making mealtimes safe and enjoyable is an important part of the process. If that seems like too much, just get have the other food near you while you eat, let yourself smell or lick it. 

I know this does sound a bit weird!

• Maybe try a little of one new thing with your usual meals, rather than changing everything at once. Then there's no pressure to eat if you don't like it. When you're feeling stressed or worried, it actually reduces your appetite so making mealtimes safe and enjoyable is an important part of the process. If that seems like too much, just get have the other food near you while you eat, let yourself smell or lick it. 

I know this does sound a bit weird!

Children
No Data