What activities make you feel good about yourself

Like many, I often struggle to manage my mental health, self-esteem and negative thoughts towards myself. However, I do have a few activities that I enjoy that just help to reframe things and make me feel positive about myself.

What activities do you enjoy that have a positive effect on your outlook?

I just started exercise again after a 3 month break and it feels wonderful. I also picked up woodworking again after a similar break and have just completed making a new workbench. It’s not brilliant, but it’s mine and I’m proud of it.

Parents
  • Playing piano is probably the one that gives me most satisfaction of that sort - that process of maintaining some pieces while gradually learning others. 

Exchanging views on the Discord forum I'm on, as well as here, is another. 

Combining little upkeep jobs around the house with listening to something though-provoking or mind expanding, or just intellectually engaging: podcasts, audiobooks etc. Household tasks without listening become paralysingly dull, but when combined with these things... pleasingly therapeutic. It's the synthesis that seems to be important. 

• Playing piano is probably the one that gives me most satisfaction of that sort - that process of maintaining some pieces while gradually learning others. 

Exchanging views on the Discord forum I'm on, as well as here, is another. 

Combining little upkeep jobs around the house with listening to something though-provoking or mind expanding, or just intellectually engaging: podcasts, audiobooks etc. Household tasks without listening become paralysingly dull, but when combined with these things... pleasingly therapeutic. It's the synthesis that seems to be important. 

Children
  • I admire those who can play music. It’s something I’ve tried in the past, but never really committed to. I can see why you’d enjoy it though.

I also agree with the notion of synthesis of podcasts/audiobooks with mundane tasks in order to make them more than they are. I find this works for me too.