Scared about the heat

Is anyone else worried about Monday and Tuesday? There's a weather warning in place here. It could get to 36-degrees here on Monday! I know it'll be hotter elsewhere but this is still a lot of heat to endure. I'm so scared. I don't want to be ill. Do you think it's likely I'll be ill in this heat? I'm going to try and keep hydrated and stay in, hopefully I'll be ok, but it's still scary. Don't want to end up ill and in hospital.

Parents
  • It's natural to feel anxious about Monday but try not to worry yourself into a state.

The main thing to remember is that if you're sensible then you will be fine. So drink plenty of cool refreshing drinks. Avoid direct sunlight if you can and certainly don't go out in it when it's at its strongest so really avoid it from midmorning to late afternoon. Wear loose fitting clothing, avoid any thick clothing. If you have a fan keep it nearby you to keep you cool.

The danger to life is more for vulnerable people and aimed at people who go to the beach or for a swim in lakes. In direct sunlight you will overheat fast. I am sure the NHS will be crippled by midday Monday.

Try not to worry. You will be fine.

• I am very worried because in addition to the heat, I have had 2 positive COVID tests in the last five days and I am struggling to breath.

Reply Children
  • I am glad the air quality is good where you are, that will help so much. I am a few miles out of the city centre too, so the air should be nice but for some reason everyone seems to think that seeing as we are having a heatwave it is a good idea to make huge bonfires and burn everything they don't want in their garden. So, it is very smoky outside now and I don't think I will be able to open the windows tonight! 

• Having said that, if you continue to struggle to breathe, you should ring NHS 111 for advice without waiting for a pulse oximeter to arrive!

• The only good thing is the lack of pollution in the atmosphere at the present time and I am a few miles away from the city centre.

I remember many years ago in the early 1990s when I worked in central Manchester.  The heat was awful and the pollution made it so much worse.  As soon as I got out of the city centre my breathing problems eased.

• I would suggest that you try and order one from Amazon that can arrive by next day delivery if you can. This is what I would do if I was in your situation at least. I ordered one for my grandma when she caught Covid-19. It turned out that she was just fine and recovered relatively quickly but it gave us peace of mind that she could monitor her oxygen levels at home. If you can monitor your blood oxygen yourself then you will know if the levels are dropping and when you should seek medical attention. I have heard of a phenomenon called "happy hypoxia" where people's oxygen levels drop dangerously low but they feel okay, are not experiencing respiratory distress and are not aware that they are in danger. It is better to receive oxygen therapy and treatment before it gets to this point.

• That is worrying, do you have a pulse oximeter at home to measure your blood oxygen saturation levels?