Scared about the heat

Is anyone else worried about Monday and Tuesday? There's a weather warning in place here. It could get to 36-degrees here on Monday! I know it'll be hotter elsewhere but this is still a lot of heat to endure. I'm so scared. I don't want to be ill. Do you think it's likely I'll be ill in this heat? I'm going to try and keep hydrated and stay in, hopefully I'll be ok, but it's still scary. Don't want to end up ill and in hospital.

Parents
  • Heat is a big sensory thing for me so I'm not looking forward to it either and I really understand how you feel. 

I think it is so important to remember though that everything in the media is set up to scare us, they seem to want us to live in a constant state of fear about one thing or another. Online news just creates constant headlines whipping us up into panic. When we see headlines just remind yourself that its designed to make you scared about everything, that way they get more clicks and sell more papers. Thats how I try and think of it. Its not easy though, I still panic alot.  For those of us who suffer anxiety and struggle to process this sort of stuff it is really hard.

Its worth remembering a few things

Firstly, its just two days. In 1976 we had constant heat and drought for 3 months and everyone got through it ok. This is nothing like that

Secondly, it's not the apocolyptic thing they are making it out as. Perth in Australia has summers of 42C every year and people are ok. As long as we are sensible and dont do anything silly like go running in the sun all day everything will be ok. 
    I think your plan of staying in and watching movies is a really good idea, you will be fine :-)

• I understand. I am a bit sensitive to the heat as well, I'm also allergic to sunlight so I usually stay clear of it.

I know you are right about the media causing fear. Normally I avoid the news and don't read up on things but I stupidly had a look, really wish I hadn't now. This is the exact reason I don't follow the news because I overthink what I read. It sounds like we are similar with this. Anxiety definitely makes this a lot worse. I've lived with anxiety for years now and it always gets me in such a panic especially if I've read the news. I try not to but it's not always easy to convince yourself.

I didn't know that about 1976. I was just reading about it, that must have been hard coping in that for months. I'm just glad this is for a few days. After it looks like the temperature will drop to low twenties which will be nice.

Thanks. Watching things keeps me calm and so long as I keep drinking I think I'll be ok on the hottest days.

I hope you will be ok as well. :) 

• It really sounds like we are similar. That's how I react to the news too. I try and avoid it but if I look at it it I get so anxious that I then look at more and more and it sends me into a spiral. I suffer terribly with anxiety so I really understand.

What I try and do is remind myself that alot of what we see on the news isnt actually true. Most of it is wildly exaggerated. The more afraid they make us the more clicks they get and the more papers they sell. Its in their interests to make everything as scary as possible. Most things arent as scary as they say they are.

Like this heatwave, theres been much longer ones before. Hope you enjoy your movies and all will be ok :-)

• It really sounds like we are similar. That's how I react to the news too. I try and avoid it but if I look at it it I get so anxious that I then look at more and more and it sends me into a spiral. I suffer terribly with anxiety so I really understand.

What I try and do is remind myself that alot of what we see on the news isnt actually true. Most of it is wildly exaggerated. The more afraid they make us the more clicks they get and the more papers they sell. Its in their interests to make everything as scary as possible. Most things arent as scary as they say they are.

Like this heatwave, theres been much longer ones before. Hope you enjoy your movies and all will be ok :-)

Children
No Data