Anorexia

Hi

my 17year old son around 8 weeks ago started reducing calories to 300 per day.  He has currently been in hospital for refeeding for the last 5 weeks - this initially was done by tube feeding and more recently he has orally been drinking fortified shakes.  He at present is medically fit for discharge but mentally miles away from healthy.  He struggles to explain his feelings but says that he is in a constant state of anxiety and has been for many years.  The local eating disorder clinic is involved but I feel they do not understand his autism.  He has yet to receive any form of counselling/therapy and due to being 18 in a month or so there is an ongoing conflict of who will provide this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Parents
  • Hi.

I had this problem, I was diagnosed with autism and an eating disorder on the same day whilst in hospital.

I had been hospitalized three times and no one really knew how to help me because I didn't talk about it. I would eat when I was in hospital so the doctors thought I was okay but the problem didn't really get solved. I had to get therapy.

I was also drinking the fortified shakes.

For me it felt like it would never go away that I was always going to be falling into relapse.

Over three years later I no longer have an eating disorder (autism's never going away though Joy).

What helped me was realizing the pain wasn't worth it anymore, have an eating disorder causes SO much pain, let me tell you and also muscle gaining. 

Now for a parent point of view, my mother was not equipped to handle a child, like myself, she would get angry and it only stressed me more and made me not want to eat anymore. Try to get him interested in something else. PLEASE do not show your anger with him, issues with me have started because everyone was screaming in my ear and I felt so isolated and I still haven't told my mum about my eating disorder to this day. I think our relationship is tainted now and I don't know if she can ever gain back that trust.

Also, with anorexia nervosa, what helped me was the idea of getting fit and muscle gaining. This is such a hard time, I am so sorry you both have to go through this.

I know it's hard, but it will be so hard for him, he most likely doesn't want this. Just show him that you are there and ready to get support in any way he expresses it.

I hope this helps.

Good luck to you both.

• Hi.

I had this problem, I was diagnosed with autism and an eating disorder on the same day whilst in hospital.

I had been hospitalized three times and no one really knew how to help me because I didn't talk about it. I would eat when I was in hospital so the doctors thought I was okay but the problem didn't really get solved. I had to get therapy.

I was also drinking the fortified shakes.

For me it felt like it would never go away that I was always going to be falling into relapse.

Over three years later I no longer have an eating disorder (autism's never going away though Joy).

What helped me was realizing the pain wasn't worth it anymore, have an eating disorder causes SO much pain, let me tell you and also muscle gaining. 

Now for a parent point of view, my mother was not equipped to handle a child, like myself, she would get angry and it only stressed me more and made me not want to eat anymore. Try to get him interested in something else. PLEASE do not show your anger with him, issues with me have started because everyone was screaming in my ear and I felt so isolated and I still haven't told my mum about my eating disorder to this day. I think our relationship is tainted now and I don't know if she can ever gain back that trust.

Also, with anorexia nervosa, what helped me was the idea of getting fit and muscle gaining. This is such a hard time, I am so sorry you both have to go through this.

I know it's hard, but it will be so hard for him, he most likely doesn't want this. Just show him that you are there and ready to get support in any way he expresses it.

I hope this helps.

Good luck to you both.

Children
No Data