always picking

Hello how can i stop my daughter picking her skin till it bleeds she as lots of little scabs on her body she can't leave them alone . Her skins starting to scar i've noticed she picks more when shes feeling anxious we went to hosptal yesterday for blood tests she picked her skin non stop. At the hospital she had four areas numbed with cream this caused a melt down because she said her arms felt wet she screamed shouted and hit me several times when it came to actully having the blood test she was so calm which was a bit strange i expected her to panic.

Parents
  • Hi,

I wondered if she may find popping bubble wrap bubbles a satisfying alternative to skin picking or some other small repetitive and compulsive activity that's safe. 

Some other ideas;  picking stickers/sticky labels off of things (when at home, labels off of jars, milk bottles before they go in your recycling, address labels etc..)

Also suggest her skin is kept well moisturised and you could see if she would accept wearing a pair of cotton gloves (Boots sells them. More difficult to pick through). 

Hope you find some safer self soothing strategies that work for her. 

• Hi,

I wondered if she may find popping bubble wrap bubbles a satisfying alternative to skin picking or some other small repetitive and compulsive activity that's safe. 

Some other ideas;  picking stickers/sticky labels off of things (when at home, labels off of jars, milk bottles before they go in your recycling, address labels etc..)

Also suggest her skin is kept well moisturised and you could see if she would accept wearing a pair of cotton gloves (Boots sells them. More difficult to pick through). 

Hope you find some safer self soothing strategies that work for her. 

Children
No Data