Sensory Triggers & Spoon Theory

I want to start a thread about sensory triggers. What are yours, and how does it effect you?

Also does anyone subscribe to spoon theory?

Parents
  • A friend with Fibromylagia introduced me to the Spoon Theory after I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism approximately 10 years ago. It made perfect sense to me, and I've found it an effective way of explaining to other people how my condition affects me.

A few years ago, I was unofficially diagnosed with Autism. I suffer with social anxiety, and even when I'm with people I know and get on with, I can quickly feel mentally drained. The Spoon Theory has proven useful for explaining autism-related burnout.

As for sensory triggers, I definitely have misophonia (audiitory triggers). I find it hard to tolerate the sound of people eating. I used to enjoy eating out, but as I've got older I have found the sound of cutlery scraping against plates to be an issue too. I don't like the sound of loud/noisy cars and motorbikes when I'm outdoors. If my phone rings it often startles me... Fortunately, I rarely receive incoming phone calls. I have a neighbour with low functioning autism who regularly jumps (stims). Whilst I know that he cannot help it and understand that it is something he needs to do, the sound/vibrations can be enough to drive me quietly insane.

The smell and taste of mushrooms causes me to feel nauseous, as does fresh ginger. Floral smells I cannot abide, and anything lavender-fragranced often brings on a migraine.

Fabrics I don't really have an issue with unless they contain lace, or are made from scritchy wool.

I find rapid flashing lights can cause my eyes to hurt, along with blindingly bright LED lights on modern vehicles.

• A friend with Fibromylagia introduced me to the Spoon Theory after I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism approximately 10 years ago. It made perfect sense to me, and I've found it an effective way of explaining to other people how my condition affects me.

A few years ago, I was unofficially diagnosed with Autism. I suffer with social anxiety, and even when I'm with people I know and get on with, I can quickly feel mentally drained. The Spoon Theory has proven useful for explaining autism-related burnout.

As for sensory triggers, I definitely have misophonia (audiitory triggers). I find it hard to tolerate the sound of people eating. I used to enjoy eating out, but as I've got older I have found the sound of cutlery scraping against plates to be an issue too. I don't like the sound of loud/noisy cars and motorbikes when I'm outdoors. If my phone rings it often startles me... Fortunately, I rarely receive incoming phone calls. I have a neighbour with low functioning autism who regularly jumps (stims). Whilst I know that he cannot help it and understand that it is something he needs to do, the sound/vibrations can be enough to drive me quietly insane.

The smell and taste of mushrooms causes me to feel nauseous, as does fresh ginger. Floral smells I cannot abide, and anything lavender-fragranced often brings on a migraine.

Fabrics I don't really have an issue with unless they contain lace, or are made from scritchy wool.

I find rapid flashing lights can cause my eyes to hurt, along with blindingly bright LED lights on modern vehicles.

Children
No Data