Sensory Triggers & Spoon Theory

I want to start a thread about sensory triggers. What are yours, and how does it effect you?

Also does anyone subscribe to spoon theory?

Parents
  • Any eating noises will literally kill me. When there are a bunch pf people talking at once in a room I will start to get very overwhelmed. When my brothers make sound effects when they're playing games. So many fabrics make me recoil. It is both a sensory and a ptsd trigger whenever anything touches my face. Baked beans and asparagus make me wanna puke. Those are just a few of the sensory issues I have. I call my auditory triggers bad noises lol

• Definitely agree with you there - auditory triggers "upset my ears". That's the phrase we use at home - my assessor knew exactly what I meant by that.

I remember being stuck next to someone at a dinner function, and COULD NOT stomach the sounds she made when she ate. I swear she was using her cheek muscles to "chew" her food instead of her teeth. I wanted to rip my ears off and scream.

I had a manager who sat opposite me, must be 15 years ago now but I can still hear it in my head, plain as day - her jaw cracked when she ate - with every single chew. Made me want to puke. She always smelled of fake tan, dry shampoo and cheap perfume. (That's quite a cloud of stink) Fake tan is one of the worst smell triggers for me, and the Mugler perfume (Angel, the blue one).

I'm stuck in a small flat at the moment, waiting for a move date. It's a communal block of flats with a lot of activity round the clock with various people moving around for night shifts at all hours. You can hear all the doors slamming and intercoms buzzing, which also upsets my dog.

I've also got PTSD so it's been torture since we moved in.

I can recommend some good headphones for noise cancelling, as it has a switch to turn off the bass - or change it to a more tolerable level - they are Skullcandy Crusher ANC. When there's chaotic cacophony around me, they REALLY help.

• Definitely agree with you there - auditory triggers "upset my ears". That's the phrase we use at home - my assessor knew exactly what I meant by that.

I remember being stuck next to someone at a dinner function, and COULD NOT stomach the sounds she made when she ate. I swear she was using her cheek muscles to "chew" her food instead of her teeth. I wanted to rip my ears off and scream.

I had a manager who sat opposite me, must be 15 years ago now but I can still hear it in my head, plain as day - her jaw cracked when she ate - with every single chew. Made me want to puke. She always smelled of fake tan, dry shampoo and cheap perfume. (That's quite a cloud of stink) Fake tan is one of the worst smell triggers for me, and the Mugler perfume (Angel, the blue one).

I'm stuck in a small flat at the moment, waiting for a move date. It's a communal block of flats with a lot of activity round the clock with various people moving around for night shifts at all hours. You can hear all the doors slamming and intercoms buzzing, which also upsets my dog.

I've also got PTSD so it's been torture since we moved in.

I can recommend some good headphones for noise cancelling, as it has a switch to turn off the bass - or change it to a more tolerable level - they are Skullcandy Crusher ANC. When there's chaotic cacophony around me, they REALLY help.

Children
No Data