Daughter wetting herself

Hi, 

My 9 year old daughter is still on the waiting list to be officially assessed for ASD.

She refuses to acknowledge that she needs the toilet (1's and 2's) and will only go when told.

The school will ask her if she wants to go, but can not force her to go. For the last few years, she obviously had a bladder made of steel because she was able to hold in a wee all day and then go when she got home. Now though, she is starting to wet herself on a daily basis and has started bed wetting again.

I'm worried that other children in school will start talking and this will bring a whole new level of anxiety for my daughter.

She has literally been standing in the bathroom before and still wet herself because I didn't tell her to go to the toilet.

Any help/advise would be great

Parents
  • I do know someone who had a similar issue.

The child was getting UTI’s from holding in wee.
    What she did was to schedule toilet time. Set a timer, or just express a regular time when she should go and sit on the toilet. Her body should eventually voluntarily eliminate the waste, and she can go about her business. This may take some time.

The school asking if she needs to go is pointless. She’s going to say no because she can’t register when she needs to go.

Again, perhaps they could allow her a set time to go off and sit on the toilet. Perhaps when it’s quiet and calm. 

• My son did this. He would be so focused on his activity he wouldn’t go and just dribble wee until he was wet. We were advised to get him to drink more water during the day and stop 1-2 hours before bed. It definitely helped with the daytime wetting as the signals were stronger.
    We lifted him to the toilet at night (when we went to bed) until he was 11. At this point his bedtime got late enough that he could hold his wee all night.

I agree, a set routine for wees at school would help. Also checking the toilets are ok for her. I work with a boy who has a completely debilitating fear of hand dryers so I take him to the toilets in another block where there are no dryers. 

• Should say he was a similar age 8/9 when he was daytime wetting. It was after a period of being completely dry which confused us but sorted it eventually. 

Reply Children
No Data