Insomnia

Hello All, 

Since my ASD diagnosis earlier this month, I have been having more and more nights with insomnia. I’m even writing this message close to 4am!

Can anyone give me advice on how I can get a goodnight’s sleep or share what has helped you with your insomnia? 

Thanks in advance

Ruth 

Parents
  • Hi Ruth, 

I am actually also struggling with insomnia at the moment and it is so exhausting and frustrating. What has helped me in the past, especially to fall asleep are audiobooks, especially an audiobook of a book you already know and like- I would put the volume very low so that I would have to focus to listen and so that it would not be distracting if i drifted off. I would put the sleep timer so that the audiobook turns off automatically. 

The other thing that sometimes can make me wake up is if my blood sugar is low. If that is the case a very small snack can help fall back asleep or making sure you have a small snack before going to bed can help. 

Very regularly changing the sheets can help too- if they are all fresh and clean and smell of fresh washing, it can be soothing. 

Also maybe try to see if the room temperature has an effect. 

I think like someone else suggested, if you are lying awake for a long long time, getting up and doing something for a little while until sleepy is a good strategy. I've done that in the past and it is usually preferable to lying in bed hours on end failing to sleep... 

However currently I am really struggling with sleep (in part because of digestive issues that keep me awake) and my usual strategies also aren't really working... 

I hope you figure out what works for you!! 

• Hi Ruth, 

I am actually also struggling with insomnia at the moment and it is so exhausting and frustrating. What has helped me in the past, especially to fall asleep are audiobooks, especially an audiobook of a book you already know and like- I would put the volume very low so that I would have to focus to listen and so that it would not be distracting if i drifted off. I would put the sleep timer so that the audiobook turns off automatically. 

The other thing that sometimes can make me wake up is if my blood sugar is low. If that is the case a very small snack can help fall back asleep or making sure you have a small snack before going to bed can help. 

Very regularly changing the sheets can help too- if they are all fresh and clean and smell of fresh washing, it can be soothing. 

Also maybe try to see if the room temperature has an effect. 

I think like someone else suggested, if you are lying awake for a long long time, getting up and doing something for a little while until sleepy is a good strategy. I've done that in the past and it is usually preferable to lying in bed hours on end failing to sleep... 

However currently I am really struggling with sleep (in part because of digestive issues that keep me awake) and my usual strategies also aren't really working... 

I hope you figure out what works for you!! 

Children
No Data