Insomnia

Hello All, 

Since my ASD diagnosis earlier this month, I have been having more and more nights with insomnia. I’m even writing this message close to 4am!

Can anyone give me advice on how I can get a goodnight’s sleep or share what has helped you with your insomnia? 

Thanks in advance

Ruth 

Parents
  • I use a blue light filter on electronics set to the strongest settings so that I'm basically just looking at red tones only - a white page is orange. Even better is to not look at screens at all - reading a book is better.

I try to get some exposure to the sun during the day as well, even though I find it too bright outside. It helps to set the body clock.

I avoid caffeine after midday and drink chamomile tea or a night time blend before bed.

I also try to make it as cool as possible - open the windows if it's cool outside.

I was suffering from a B12 deficiency as well. B12 is used in a huge amount of things, from making new DNA, making new cells, maintaining nerves, and as a cofactor in the production of neurotransmitters like dopamine, GABA and serotonin. So people who are deficient can end up just feeling strung out all the time - tired but unable to sleep.

I've got my time to fall asleep down to 1-2 hours now, whereas before it was 4-5 hours, so it's a big improvement even if compared to a normal person I still technically have insomnia.

• I use a blue light filter on electronics set to the strongest settings so that I'm basically just looking at red tones only - a white page is orange. Even better is to not look at screens at all - reading a book is better.

I try to get some exposure to the sun during the day as well, even though I find it too bright outside. It helps to set the body clock.

I avoid caffeine after midday and drink chamomile tea or a night time blend before bed.

I also try to make it as cool as possible - open the windows if it's cool outside.

I was suffering from a B12 deficiency as well. B12 is used in a huge amount of things, from making new DNA, making new cells, maintaining nerves, and as a cofactor in the production of neurotransmitters like dopamine, GABA and serotonin. So people who are deficient can end up just feeling strung out all the time - tired but unable to sleep.

I've got my time to fall asleep down to 1-2 hours now, whereas before it was 4-5 hours, so it's a big improvement even if compared to a normal person I still technically have insomnia.

Children
No Data