This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

does cannabis and or thc interfere with ritalin effect?

hi all

i haven't found anything very conclusive or informative, but there's some mention of ritalin and cannabis attaching to the same cb1 receptors??? if so, can pot out compete ritalin, rendering ritalin ineffective?

I don't smoke pot a lot, but i do take thc or pot almost every single night... usually just enough to sleep - sometimes more, lol. never in the day. if i smoke too much at night, say, half or a whole joint, i feel it the next day. a pot hangover.

i'm also definitely interested in people who notice no effect and are happily indulging in both ritalin and pot.....

20 years ago, i tried ritalin, and could barely tolerate 5 or 10 mg. i'd get jittery, and noticed it could really focus me. now, since i take thc or pot, i'm up to 20mg... i don't notice many or any side effects --- it seems to help my focus. we've been upping my dose.............5 ...10......15 over three months... now i just started 20.  

thanks so much. stay healthy.

Parents
  • my apologies. my OP was very poorly written.

my question is:  i'm starting out trying to find the right therapeutic dose of ritalin ---- i've gone from 5, to 10, to 15, and now 20mg over maybe three months, with my dr... i sort of feel the effect of ritalin --- only occasionally, but i feel i feel its effects. so, we have been increasing the amount to reach a consistently effective daily amount. i take short acting, once a day.

but i also take thc or pot, almost nightly. about 30mg thc, or 1/2 a joint, if i smoke more than usual. that's all... but i've heard ritalin and pot compete for the same receptors -- cb1? i'm wondering if other people have insight into this --- or if there are people who happily combine pot and ritalin and are fine....

i think i'm overreacting to my use of pot, since i don't think i'm using much. but i'm also quite sensitive to meds and things... 

thank you - sorry for the original post confusion....

• my apologies. my OP was very poorly written.

my question is:  i'm starting out trying to find the right therapeutic dose of ritalin ---- i've gone from 5, to 10, to 15, and now 20mg over maybe three months, with my dr... i sort of feel the effect of ritalin --- only occasionally, but i feel i feel its effects. so, we have been increasing the amount to reach a consistently effective daily amount. i take short acting, once a day.

but i also take thc or pot, almost nightly. about 30mg thc, or 1/2 a joint, if i smoke more than usual. that's all... but i've heard ritalin and pot compete for the same receptors -- cb1? i'm wondering if other people have insight into this --- or if there are people who happily combine pot and ritalin and are fine....

i think i'm overreacting to my use of pot, since i don't think i'm using much. but i'm also quite sensitive to meds and things... 

thank you - sorry for the original post confusion....

Children
No Data