Medical Phobias and Access to Mental and Physical Health Care

Any one else out there struggling to deal with body or medical phobias?  Possibly provoking melt downs and making it difficult to receive treatment.

Are you able to get any help in coping?

Have you found any solutions?  What works?

Parents Reply Children
  • Is it the procedures, the people or the illness or the body?

However well I've been dealing with the other aspects of my autism for 56 years - but for the medical phobias, I'd never have known... these things have been crippling and dangerous for me.

Now that I know that so much of my adverse experience is rooted in my sensory issues and therefore REAL as opposed to what the professionals all always assumed was imaginary  - I've been feeling things and reacting to drugs the way other people don't all my life without any of the professionals ever believing me, I can suddenly see a way forward to build some trust with doctors now, if they will understand what I am experiencing and why treatments are causing me to melt down now.  I might also now get some help that is appropriate to get through more procedures instead of everyone treating me like a naughty school girl.

What I remain stuck with is the fear of my own body (and hence illness).  For instance, when they took six of my teeth, it triggered a sensory shock in my own mouth which is now a strain to deal with.  My sensory overload is now literally in my face 24/7.  There's no relief.  All of the sensations in my own body frighten me.  I'm kind of hoping that some one out there might one day recognise this experience and have some tips as to how to calm the body monster down.