Medical Phobias and Access to Mental and Physical Health Care

Any one else out there struggling to deal with body or medical phobias?  Possibly provoking melt downs and making it difficult to receive treatment.

Are you able to get any help in coping?

Have you found any solutions?  What works?

Parents
  • Has anyone tried Emla (or similar) numbing cream?  To help overcome my needle phobia for the first Covid jab, I tried applying this cream over my previous vaccination mark on my upper left arm.  I followed the instructions and even bought special occlusive transparent plasters to stop the cream spreading.  But either it didn't work or the nurse jabbed me somewhere else as I found the needle intensely painful and the same point continued throbbing at a slightly lower pain level for about an hour. 

This was the first (non-dental) injection I'd had since a tetanus shot 25 years ago.  On that occasion, I didn't feel the needle at all but for a day or two afterwards I felt the constant throbbing pain (like being jabbed hundreds of times) at the exact point of entry - bad enough to keep me awake all night.  I can only assume this is all due to a heightened autistic sensitivity to pain, as most people tell me they never feel a thing when vaccinated, apart from a bit of arm soreness afterwards which doesn't begin to cover what I experience.  And yet I've been accidentally scratched dozens of times when playing with cats over the years and that scarcely bothers me at all, even when they draw blood.  I suppose that's partly because I never know exactly when it will happen.

An hour or two before the Covid jab, I also had to take three Diazepams (15mg) just to get myself to the hub, but even they only calmed me a little (normally 5mg or less tranquilises me and I don't take them often).  Indeed, I found the whole experience so overwhelming - partly due to other sensory overloads (the hub was as noisy as a nightclub) - that on returning home I had a total meltdown, slamming every door, and had to take two more Diazepams followed by a two-hour bath! 

So having found the first time even worse than I expected, my phobia is now doubled for the second dose. 

• Has anyone tried Emla (or similar) numbing cream?  To help overcome my needle phobia for the first Covid jab, I tried applying this cream over my previous vaccination mark on my upper left arm.  I followed the instructions and even bought special occlusive transparent plasters to stop the cream spreading.  But either it didn't work or the nurse jabbed me somewhere else as I found the needle intensely painful and the same point continued throbbing at a slightly lower pain level for about an hour. 

This was the first (non-dental) injection I'd had since a tetanus shot 25 years ago.  On that occasion, I didn't feel the needle at all but for a day or two afterwards I felt the constant throbbing pain (like being jabbed hundreds of times) at the exact point of entry - bad enough to keep me awake all night.  I can only assume this is all due to a heightened autistic sensitivity to pain, as most people tell me they never feel a thing when vaccinated, apart from a bit of arm soreness afterwards which doesn't begin to cover what I experience.  And yet I've been accidentally scratched dozens of times when playing with cats over the years and that scarcely bothers me at all, even when they draw blood.  I suppose that's partly because I never know exactly when it will happen.

An hour or two before the Covid jab, I also had to take three Diazepams (15mg) just to get myself to the hub, but even they only calmed me a little (normally 5mg or less tranquilises me and I don't take them often).  Indeed, I found the whole experience so overwhelming - partly due to other sensory overloads (the hub was as noisy as a nightclub) - that on returning home I had a total meltdown, slamming every door, and had to take two more Diazepams followed by a two-hour bath! 

So having found the first time even worse than I expected, my phobia is now doubled for the second dose. 

Children
No Data