Medical Phobias and Access to Mental and Physical Health Care

Any one else out there struggling to deal with body or medical phobias?  Possibly provoking melt downs and making it difficult to receive treatment.

Are you able to get any help in coping?

Have you found any solutions?  What works?

Parents
  • I have a lot of medical phobias - needles, blood - basically anyone wanting to do things to me.  Smiley

I'm mid 50s - I come across as a jolly nice chap - think Hugh Grant meets Commander Data.

My wife comes with me as a carer - if things get bad I lose the ability to communicate coherently so she can interpret for me.         

I tend to do odd things when stressed  - like pull my own hair or rub the top of my head or cry or jiggle my legs - I just tell them beforehand what might happen and not to pay attention to anything weird - but if I tell them to stop, they must stop.

I also ask them to talk to me - about anything - just to distract my brain - the more challenging the conversation, the more I can tolerate discomfort..

They are happier because it means I can get through the event without running away - and I give them all something to talk about..    Smiley

• I have a lot of medical phobias - needles, blood - basically anyone wanting to do things to me.  Smiley

I'm mid 50s - I come across as a jolly nice chap - think Hugh Grant meets Commander Data.

My wife comes with me as a carer - if things get bad I lose the ability to communicate coherently so she can interpret for me.         

I tend to do odd things when stressed  - like pull my own hair or rub the top of my head or cry or jiggle my legs - I just tell them beforehand what might happen and not to pay attention to anything weird - but if I tell them to stop, they must stop.

I also ask them to talk to me - about anything - just to distract my brain - the more challenging the conversation, the more I can tolerate discomfort..

They are happier because it means I can get through the event without running away - and I give them all something to talk about..    Smiley

Children
No Data