Having blood taken and immunisations

Advice / support needed please.

My son, 16, is nor well at the moment and needs some important blood tests doing. He knows and understands why he needs them but cannot follow through with the procedure.

Anyone else have experience of this?

What can I do to support him / help him?

Thank you for your time.

Parents
  • If only I had a magic answer...they wanted some for me in hospital last week. Full blown melt down and total failure to get the bloods followed.

One thing that might make a difference is a home phlebotomist, if you haven't tried that already. I have some one come out to the house. She only charges £10. She's ex NHS and she then runs the bloods down to the hospital. And she is the only one who can get bloods from me.

I suspect she succeeds because I'm not in a clinical environment with all the associated sights, smells and sounds and because I haven't had to wait in a queue for hours in said environment, with the stress and the fear growing all that time. She's just in, grabbed them and gone before the melt down monster takes over.

Interestingly, she did once tell me she visits quite a lot of autistic kids, who seem to find it easier if they haven't been dragged out to sit in a bright, noisy clinic for eons to then be manhandled by someone they don't know. 

• that is interesting.  A lower of stress does help clearly.

• The wait time in that environment certainly makes a difference. I am a living nightmare for my special care dentist. My instinct to bolt kicks in the minute I am through the door. She needs to get on with it fast because I NEED to get out.

A couple of times she's asked me to wait while she changes a bit of kit or finds a thing in the cupboard. NO, NO, NO! Do that before I'm in the room otherwise I feel the curtain coming down and I bolt off somewhere where my husband can't find me for hours while I can't talk to anyone and probably harming myself. And hitherto haven't exactly been able to explain why.

• The wait time in that environment certainly makes a difference. I am a living nightmare for my special care dentist. My instinct to bolt kicks in the minute I am through the door. She needs to get on with it fast because I NEED to get out.

A couple of times she's asked me to wait while she changes a bit of kit or finds a thing in the cupboard. NO, NO, NO! Do that before I'm in the room otherwise I feel the curtain coming down and I bolt off somewhere where my husband can't find me for hours while I can't talk to anyone and probably harming myself. And hitherto haven't exactly been able to explain why.

Children
No Data