Having blood taken and immunisations

Advice / support needed please.

My son, 16, is nor well at the moment and needs some important blood tests doing. He knows and understands why he needs them but cannot follow through with the procedure.

Anyone else have experience of this?

What can I do to support him / help him?

Thank you for your time.

Parents
  • I used to faint when I saw blood, literally.  And having a blood test gave me such great anxiety.  I think they used a bigger needle in my younger days and I found it quite painful.

It seems much less painful these days, in fact I hardly feel it at all., but I cannot look at it, even after it has been taken.  Explain to the person taking the blood how your son feels and get him not to look, using some diversionary tactic to stop him looking, or get him to close his eyes or use a blindfold.  Of course, you have to get him to the phlebotomist first. I don't like having even a spot test, to me this is even worse than having a syringe of blood taken.

• I used to faint when I saw blood, literally.  And having a blood test gave me such great anxiety.  I think they used a bigger needle in my younger days and I found it quite painful.

It seems much less painful these days, in fact I hardly feel it at all., but I cannot look at it, even after it has been taken.  Explain to the person taking the blood how your son feels and get him not to look, using some diversionary tactic to stop him looking, or get him to close his eyes or use a blindfold.  Of course, you have to get him to the phlebotomist first. I don't like having even a spot test, to me this is even worse than having a syringe of blood taken.

Children
No Data