Is this an autism/asperger's thing? Is it just me?

Whenever I have to report anything to anyone and it involves more than several things, I miss out important information which means the person or organisation I am reporting the problems to do not know the full facts and the problem drags on.

I might go to a clinician and give them a list of symptoms and miss the most important things out, despite giving myself time to prepare the list, so the clinician does not have a complete picture and the problem takes longer to solve. I have many more instances of this frustrating thing. I dont want to blame autism/asperger's if it is not down to that.

• Yes same here, going to the doctor is an experience as I miss key symptoms all the time.   For me I don't prioritize myself, I dismiss my physical and psychological feelings so relaying them to someone else is tricky. 

• I didn't realise i liked lists til this year when a friend came to stay and commented how there were lists everywhere. I tealised she was right, they were a burden of ever ending responsibilities. So now I've put them all in one place, haha.

• lists glorious lists,,, i love finding people lists on the streets :)

• That's just it, even if I write a list down, a day, few days, week, month etc later I realise I missed something off the list.

• Certainly a problem I have.  I am easily distracted by others, concentrate too hard and forget what I am saying, however much I practise beforehand.  Or I can say too much.  I am better at writing.

If you are visiting a doctor or other clinician, write everything down beforehand and give it to the doctor at the start.  They will also ask if they want to know more.

• LD is learning disability. idk much about them, other than the fact that i have them. there's also 2E --- twice exceptional. this is where one has very strong strengths, but also very glaring deficits. i fit there also. i use notes, etc, as people here suggest. anything to try to get some help; otherwise, you're at the mercy of the NT's who don't face these issues. and may consciously or unconsciously take advantage of you...........

• Hi. Yes I am ASD. What is LD? I am impulsive. I do have sensitivities, loud noises food textures. Yes I have communication issues. 

• that's why, imho, your asd (i assume you have asd, since you're here) is an important diagnosis. have they looked at whether you are LD, how your working memory is, whether you have issues with organization, impulsivity, oh, and not even to mention sensitivites. for example, you're in the dr office, the lights are too bright, the noises are too distracting, do you have communication issues? etc. any of these, which can coexist with asd, can cause problems when trying to organize yourself in the dr office......................or any office, for that matter.

without the diagnosis, you'd just be considered socially anxious or anxious or a muck-up.

• I even forget when I write on paper. I can write a list in my own time and days,weeks etc later realise I missed something important.

• Jeez I got this wrong about myself!

At work it doesn't happen cos I prep a lot and always have all my points to hand. I'm constantly taking notes of my thoughts, and collating them. I learnt young that preparation for any meeting is 90% of the deal.

I noticed recently how a close friend that I've been talking to about a big issue in my life was not filled in on quite a few points. Recently I said I need to fill you in on the gaps. He gave me lots of soace and I talked. Next day I was conscious of how little of substance I'd said, had gone off on a tangent early, and then ended the conversatiin a bit surprised at how short it'd been. I wrote a list of key points. Yesterday I did a 3.5 hour run with him. When I checked my list I'd only filled him in on 1 of the 9 points. They're not hard to remember, they're very pertinent and salient in my mind.

So yeah, I saw I'm not good at covering what needs saying, and could see this was a pattern that had become normal to me and so invisible.

• Normal for asd.write it on a paper in your own space and time.anxiety causes this to forget information etc to many.
  • I don't just have it with verbal, if I am dealing with something I am anxious about I also have it with written things, for example, when I send an email, I think I have got all of the points only to find out I missed something out and have to email again which is a pan, anyone else get this with written communication?

• I have similar experiences.  My strategy is to make document with all the relevant points (usually with headings for each point), leave it for a while then reread it see if anything is missed out, if I am going to a face to face meeting, I print it out the document and take it with me and read it out or glance down at it to make sure I have missed nothing out. 

If it is not a face to face meeting I email  the document.

• Whether it's autism or not I assume it impacts your life so it would be helpful to you if you found strategies to avoid the negative impact.

It's not something I've struggled with, I tend to be the opposite, but I can imagine it being something some autists struggle with. Hopefully you can find something that helps googling around.