doctors phone calls

finding these really stressful and avoiding. Any kind of phone call is really getting to me and so hard to try and avoid a complete meltdown. Any advice or anyone out there finding the same with phone calls?

Parents
  • I've always hated phone calls.

Oddly enough though, I worked on a 1st line technical support call centre for 5 years. I think the structured nature of technical support helped me there. 

But when it comes to general phone calls I find them really uncomfortable. Because of all this stuff going on when I made an appointment earlier this year to ask about an autism diagnosis I ended up getting a phone consultation. Even though I had made a list of autistic traits I believe I have and had "rehearsed" the conversation in my head several times, I just couldn't get my words out in a way that properly explained how I felt. Luckily I had forwarded the list to my GP when I asked for an appointment, so I ended up just asking if he'd seen the document I'd sent in. He had me do an AQ-10 test and said he would attach it to my referral.

But yeah, phone calls are the worst. I wish I had tips to share!

• Yes can completely relate here , rehearsing helps yes but end up panicking when the other person diverts from what I've kind of guessed is the "script" it just doesn't feel natural at all . 

• Yes, phone calls are a known stressor for anyone on the ASD spectrum. I always opt for email or text communication. You can request any professional to contact you this way as a preference, even if you have to cite your condition. Recent disability laws have stressed this, but there is still a lack of awareness out there. I recently made this preference known to a manager of my local ASD clinic who rang me, despite all my communications being by email! There needs to be more thought and understanding. 

• Yes, phone calls are a known stressor for anyone on the ASD spectrum. I always opt for email or text communication. You can request any professional to contact you this way as a preference, even if you have to cite your condition. Recent disability laws have stressed this, but there is still a lack of awareness out there. I recently made this preference known to a manager of my local ASD clinic who rang me, despite all my communications being by email! There needs to be more thought and understanding. 

Children