Autism or narcissism mother

Hello, does anyone struggle to understand their mother's behaviour and wonder if she is autistic, or narcissistic? I have ptsd from my mother's screaming and yelling fits in childhood. The thing is, recently I went to a therapist who suggested she is narcissistic, covert type. However I have aspergers and I really wonder how a mother with Aspergers might appear if she had ptsd herself and no autisn diagnosis due to masking her whole life and being born in the 1940s. How could you tell the difference between the notoriously difficult to spot covert narcissist mother, and a mother with Aspergers and ptsd and possible depression? Mood swings, difficulties with empathy, meltdowns, yelling, blame shifting, really hurtful lnsensitive comments, raging if criticised or perceived to be being criticised, different masks or persons, etc etc how would one ever know? I'm looking for anyone with experience in their own lives with this please, I'm interested to hear about your narcissistic OR autistic mom. Thanks a lot. 

Parents
  • Hi me too ..I won't say what she did as don't want to take away from your post but let's just say narcissistic abuse is actually profound and damages at a soul level and in fact can basicaly ruin your whole life to point you never recover..and it's funny you wrote autism/narcissistic? as I had wondered the same myself about (she doesnt even deserve title of mother ) so I reference her as the person that brought me or dragged me up .but then.my son is autistic and he is the most beautiful soul ive ever known a very gentle loving caring soul and not mean nasty and abusive ..also mother or person who dragged up her mother for sure 100% autistic BUT again the most gentle beautiful soul so I don't know like you am confused but have wondered ..I think back then there is a lot of very dark messed up people as there wasn't the level of awareness like we are having now with these types of things.

• Hi me too ..I won't say what she did as don't want to take away from your post but let's just say narcissistic abuse is actually profound and damages at a soul level and in fact can basicaly ruin your whole life to point you never recover..and it's funny you wrote autism/narcissistic? as I had wondered the same myself about (she doesnt even deserve title of mother ) so I reference her as the person that brought me or dragged me up .but then.my son is autistic and he is the most beautiful soul ive ever known a very gentle loving caring soul and not mean nasty and abusive ..also mother or person who dragged up her mother for sure 100% autistic BUT again the most gentle beautiful soul so I don't know like you am confused but have wondered ..I think back then there is a lot of very dark messed up people as there wasn't the level of awareness like we are having now with these types of things.

Children
No Data