Do stress assessments in the work setting work for autistic employees if they are designed for neurotypicals?

Hi, I work for the NHS 3 days a week.  Our service has been reorganised at short notice, we have been relocated, given new technology without adequate training and we are short of staff.

We are all stressed in various ways and the Managers are monitoring this.  My line Manager wants to do a Stress Test on me (I'm an Aspie), does anyone know if such tests for Neurotypicals are appropriate to Aspies/Austists??   Things that stress me (not achieving things and noisy overcrowded meeting rooms are not what stress NTs).  Has anyone any experience of this?

Parents
  • I think most autistic folk experience much higher stress levels than neutotypicals because of having to process the information and the problems surrounding social interaction, any good text on autism would provide the scientific evidence behind this, I guess a stress test is like the 'Hospital Anxiety and depressions test' (HADS) https://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/products/hospital-anxiety-and-depression-scale-hads/  which indeed does cope for all folk, and which autistic people generally score highly on, even as a matter of course without additional external changes an dpressures such as you are currently dealing with. Personally I would extract the criteria for diagnosis and show how the current climate is an adverse challenge for you and see if measures can be brought about to ease it and which might benefit your enitre team ?

• I think most autistic folk experience much higher stress levels than neutotypicals because of having to process the information and the problems surrounding social interaction, any good text on autism would provide the scientific evidence behind this, I guess a stress test is like the 'Hospital Anxiety and depressions test' (HADS) https://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/products/hospital-anxiety-and-depression-scale-hads/  which indeed does cope for all folk, and which autistic people generally score highly on, even as a matter of course without additional external changes an dpressures such as you are currently dealing with. Personally I would extract the criteria for diagnosis and show how the current climate is an adverse challenge for you and see if measures can be brought about to ease it and which might benefit your enitre team ?

Children
No Data