Family falling apart because of transport fear

My son (who is now 5) was diagnosed with autism 2 years ago is very scared from cars and buses. This anxiety started nearly 3 years ago and I decided that is better stay away from this transport to make him less panicky in the street and help him with sensory overload...thinking it will go away...But it didn't.

As you can imagine I missed a lot of things : weddings,  birthdays,  family holidays and any trips all together. 

His fear of cars and buses is scary to watch and be around. If the bus is too close he will run as far as he can, screaming, hitting and pulling anyone around him.

We can't go anywhere further than 10min away from the house and this is for the last 3 years... 

To summarise., my husband and I getting separated. My family thinks I'm lying about his fear because I don't want them to see my son. My ex's family thinks the same. My friends turned their back as well.

I tried slow approach ,  talking about cars, getting close to them for months. Safe distance from a car is about  1 meter,  bus is around 5 meters. Anything closer triggers panic attacks

How to even start moving away from this fear? Anyone had the same issues?Any advice how to approach this problem? 

P.s. -  I'm not here to listen how horrible people are around me and my son .( Three years is hard to explain in two sentences.) I'm here to find the way to help my son...

Parents
  • Hi, have you thought about trying distraction. Perhaps try headphones to shut noise out with music, or think like a child, get him some magic glasses that will protect him (sunglasses) or a special jacket sent by his favourite superhero that will give him special powers...

Obviously I don’t know your son, so I’m sure you could come up with something that he will relate to, but in a nutshell, stop thinking like a rational adult, and start thinking like a less rational child.

Hope I’ve helped, good luck.

• Hi, have you thought about trying distraction. Perhaps try headphones to shut noise out with music, or think like a child, get him some magic glasses that will protect him (sunglasses) or a special jacket sent by his favourite superhero that will give him special powers...

Obviously I don’t know your son, so I’m sure you could come up with something that he will relate to, but in a nutshell, stop thinking like a rational adult, and start thinking like a less rational child.

Hope I’ve helped, good luck.

Children
No Data