I can’t shut out background noise

Hi does anyone else suffer from the inability to block out noise?  I hear my neighbours, I hear the traffic, car doors slamming, flat doors slamming, barking dogs and I can’t block any of it out.  I live with noise cancelling headphones on all the time, it is now affecting my gait so I’ve been advised to not wear them so much but it is the only way I can deal with the world.  I find it is much worse when I don’t sleep and I never sleep well.  I feel overwhelmed with the noise around me and lost.  Does it ever get better?  The older I get the worse it gets.  I’m having difficulty dealing with every day life.  Does it ever get any better?  I feel like if I couldn’t hear anymore, it would be a relief. I’m constantly exhausted.  Everyone try’s to take your money by promising this supplement will help, or dietary changes will make it better.  Has anyone found anything that makes it better?

Parents
  • I'm curious though to why wearing noise cancelling headphones would affect your gait?   I've always blocked sound completely as I mentioned via hearing aids and I had been diagnosed with balance and co-ordination problems. I wondered why i could walk round the house fine and do exercises when home alone (when I never have the hearing aids in) but when I have to go out I need a stick to help me keep my balance. I figured it was because the ground was more uneven and unpredictable and my brain couldn't compensate quickly enough, whereas in my own home my brain knows its flat.

I never made the connection between whether I had the hearing aids in and all sounds blocked out as I never took them out unless I was home alone where I could control all sounds.

• I'm curious though to why wearing noise cancelling headphones would affect your gait?   I've always blocked sound completely as I mentioned via hearing aids and I had been diagnosed with balance and co-ordination problems. I wondered why i could walk round the house fine and do exercises when home alone (when I never have the hearing aids in) but when I have to go out I need a stick to help me keep my balance. I figured it was because the ground was more uneven and unpredictable and my brain couldn't compensate quickly enough, whereas in my own home my brain knows its flat.

I never made the connection between whether I had the hearing aids in and all sounds blocked out as I never took them out unless I was home alone where I could control all sounds.

Children
No Data