I can’t shut out background noise

Hi does anyone else suffer from the inability to block out noise?  I hear my neighbours, I hear the traffic, car doors slamming, flat doors slamming, barking dogs and I can’t block any of it out.  I live with noise cancelling headphones on all the time, it is now affecting my gait so I’ve been advised to not wear them so much but it is the only way I can deal with the world.  I find it is much worse when I don’t sleep and I never sleep well.  I feel overwhelmed with the noise around me and lost.  Does it ever get better?  The older I get the worse it gets.  I’m having difficulty dealing with every day life.  Does it ever get any better?  I feel like if I couldn’t hear anymore, it would be a relief. I’m constantly exhausted.  Everyone try’s to take your money by promising this supplement will help, or dietary changes will make it better.  Has anyone found anything that makes it better?

Parents
  • Always try to reflect later
    slept with a fan
     I can hear things others can’t and I always have to locate the source of the noise. For some reason, it makes me feel better.

(...Wow, I have never been able to do so many Quotes in just one post before! Please Excuse Me...)

...Me again, I quote all of that because I think that it is all TRUE and a GOOD thing to be aware of. I, too, also have/prefer to sleep with a fan on, or with white noise. (I live in London, perhaps the noisest City in the UK...?)

I quote all of that because it seems that You are aware of what to do, but have trouble - like Myself - in doing it. Yet as said, by Others as well, You are not alone with this. I think, as far as I have read and tried Myself, You might like to explore the Avenues of so-called "Meditation". I am not all that good at this, but to start with very basically, find a noise (e.g. the white noise) that is not damaging/stessful...and focus upon that. Do this as if all of the time (try to find a "white noise"), wherever You are. Then build up a sort of Base upon that. From that safe base, work upon accustomising Oneself to other noises, all the time playing it safe & knowing One's own limits of tolerance.

As I said before, I absolutely cannot tolerate screaming or shouting children/adults, so all of that does take time. Just know what is liked... (E.g. try going into parks & listening for birdsong, *then* listen for the bad noises..?) ... and work up from that. Do not be discouraged by stress (or temporary deafening).

...I 'hope this helps' even just a little. (It did for Me, and I still run away at screaming, and plug ears at Sirens, though.) Good Luck!

• Always try to reflect later
    slept with a fan
     I can hear things others can’t and I always have to locate the source of the noise. For some reason, it makes me feel better.

(...Wow, I have never been able to do so many Quotes in just one post before! Please Excuse Me...)

...Me again, I quote all of that because I think that it is all TRUE and a GOOD thing to be aware of. I, too, also have/prefer to sleep with a fan on, or with white noise. (I live in London, perhaps the noisest City in the UK...?)

I quote all of that because it seems that You are aware of what to do, but have trouble - like Myself - in doing it. Yet as said, by Others as well, You are not alone with this. I think, as far as I have read and tried Myself, You might like to explore the Avenues of so-called "Meditation". I am not all that good at this, but to start with very basically, find a noise (e.g. the white noise) that is not damaging/stessful...and focus upon that. Do this as if all of the time (try to find a "white noise"), wherever You are. Then build up a sort of Base upon that. From that safe base, work upon accustomising Oneself to other noises, all the time playing it safe & knowing One's own limits of tolerance.

As I said before, I absolutely cannot tolerate screaming or shouting children/adults, so all of that does take time. Just know what is liked... (E.g. try going into parks & listening for birdsong, *then* listen for the bad noises..?) ... and work up from that. Do not be discouraged by stress (or temporary deafening).

...I 'hope this helps' even just a little. (It did for Me, and I still run away at screaming, and plug ears at Sirens, though.) Good Luck!

Children
No Data