Motion sickness

I've always suffered with car sickness and the NAS website suggests that this could be due to issues with balance (it's listed as part of vestibular over-sensitivity).

However, I find that it's not just car travel that gives me motion sickness - it happens with video games too (which is really annoying because I do enjoy playing them, but I find myself feeling like I'm going to be sick after about 20 minutes!).

I'm curious - does anyone else experience motion sickness? What triggers it for you?

Parents
  • Yes I get this.  I prefer to be driven, but some people’s driving makes me feel really ill!  If they’re a smooth driver I’m fine even in the back.  My own driving is generally really slow and smooth, but if it’s busy or dark and there’s lots of headlights or rain glare off puddles I can get so disorientated and feel a combination of nausea, motion sick, dizziness for days after.  A two hour drive last December wiped me out solidly for about four days.  I’m generally ok flying so long as I keep my sugar levels up, but I had a little two hour flight a couple of years ago and get unbelievably motion sick and so disorientated the second I got home (luckily someone else was driving from the airport) I collapsed in a ball on the floor and stayed there for hours.

Video games have the same effect.  I tried call of duty once and had to go to bed for the rest of the day.  Took a sick bowl and everything coz I felt so sick.  

I can go on roller coasters, but nothing that goes back and forth or round in a circle.  

They put some exercise equipment in the playing fields near me a few years ago, and I tried this one where your feet are on the platforms and you hold some handles and do some over the top walking movement.  It must have been because the ground was now further than usual but that too made me motion sick and I had to go straight home and lie down. 

I heat on everything of those microwaveable scarfs and lie in bed with the windows open (which they always are anyway), and find it most helpful when it’s really cold with the wind blowing. If I’ve caught it early it can wear off by the end of the day, but it can go on for up to a week.  If I’ve done a long flight I can feel the movement when I lie down for days.

• Yes I get this.  I prefer to be driven, but some people’s driving makes me feel really ill!  If they’re a smooth driver I’m fine even in the back.  My own driving is generally really slow and smooth, but if it’s busy or dark and there’s lots of headlights or rain glare off puddles I can get so disorientated and feel a combination of nausea, motion sick, dizziness for days after.  A two hour drive last December wiped me out solidly for about four days.  I’m generally ok flying so long as I keep my sugar levels up, but I had a little two hour flight a couple of years ago and get unbelievably motion sick and so disorientated the second I got home (luckily someone else was driving from the airport) I collapsed in a ball on the floor and stayed there for hours.

Video games have the same effect.  I tried call of duty once and had to go to bed for the rest of the day.  Took a sick bowl and everything coz I felt so sick.  

I can go on roller coasters, but nothing that goes back and forth or round in a circle.  

They put some exercise equipment in the playing fields near me a few years ago, and I tried this one where your feet are on the platforms and you hold some handles and do some over the top walking movement.  It must have been because the ground was now further than usual but that too made me motion sick and I had to go straight home and lie down. 

I heat on everything of those microwaveable scarfs and lie in bed with the windows open (which they always are anyway), and find it most helpful when it’s really cold with the wind blowing. If I’ve caught it early it can wear off by the end of the day, but it can go on for up to a week.  If I’ve done a long flight I can feel the movement when I lie down for days.

Children