Son is like Jekyll and hyde

Hello there. I’m really struggling with my 14 year old autistic son. One minute he’s the nice boy I remember and the next he’s this monster. He always shouts and has a go at me. It’s like treading on eggshells. He never seems happy and is so argumentative. He winds everyone up all the time and he reminds me of his abusive father. I’m a single mum and I’ve got no support from family and no friends. I’ve got depression as well as a heart condition and things are not good at all. Today was the worst because I had to babysit my little grandson and my son is so jealous of him. My son doesn’t sleep well and today I just cried. What can I do? I love him but I’m scared of the future with him. 

Parents
  • Hi,

I'm really sorry that you are struggling, lack of sleep is not a good combination with depression. 

At 14 I would assume that his hormones are going wild and that he is struggling with this and displaying it as anger, teenagers can really switch personality at this time add in that he is autistic and probably struggling with the emotions.

Has he got any hobbies or interests sometimes this can give focus and an outlet for the anger or extra energy

Probably a stupid question but have you tried talking to him maybe not face to face about what he is feeling and what he would like 

Please try and find a support group or someone to talk to in your area I know it sounds silly but knowing that you are not alone makes a difference. You may also want to try the helpline

I'm sure another member will have more practical suggestions for you 

Good luck 

• Hi,

I'm really sorry that you are struggling, lack of sleep is not a good combination with depression. 

At 14 I would assume that his hormones are going wild and that he is struggling with this and displaying it as anger, teenagers can really switch personality at this time add in that he is autistic and probably struggling with the emotions.

Has he got any hobbies or interests sometimes this can give focus and an outlet for the anger or extra energy

Probably a stupid question but have you tried talking to him maybe not face to face about what he is feeling and what he would like 

Please try and find a support group or someone to talk to in your area I know it sounds silly but knowing that you are not alone makes a difference. You may also want to try the helpline

I'm sure another member will have more practical suggestions for you 

Good luck 

Children
No Data