Just had my first appointment, need some help.

So basically I've just returned from my first appointment at my local community mental health centre after being referred by my GP.

I felt that the conversation I had when there was very broad and didn't really take into account any wider points, specifically more related to Asperger's. The majority of the question were about the social side of things, which I understand is obviously a big part of AS, but other characteristics affects me too and make life difficult.

All in all we spoke for only 15 to 20 minutes before she concluded I don't have AS, that I have social anxiety and depression and tried to pit me on a course of anti-depressants. She said she'd book me another appointment to see her in 3 months, and one to see a psychiatrist about the social anxiety. I declined the medication, not least because I'm not depressed, but also because I am put off by side effects and such.

I understand how social anxiety can be very closely related to AS, but I feel she didn't listen to or pay any attention to the other characteristics and such that are covered by the umbrella that is AS. Obviously some days I feel 'down' about things, but it's very far from being depressed and I feel as if they've just made an extremely quick decision in trying to offer me anti depressants before fully understanding everything.

Should I just continue and go to the appointment in 3 months, and the one with the psychiatrist, or should I go back to my GP and try and get referred to someone else who may pay more attention to me?

I probably should've mentioned, I'm 20.

Thanks for any advice/help :)

Parents
  • Hope said:

Socially, I can put on an extremely good act in professional situations, where I have a clear role, know what is expected of me, and where it is part of my routine: volunteering at Age UK on the till, for example, or interacting with my support worker or a doctor. At home it is another matter. My parents see the  most severe side of my Asperger's syndrome because I can only keep up the act for so long.

This is very much like myself. My family definitely get the full brunt of things, especially my problems with anger. Much like yourself though, I can put on a decent act in more professional situations, especially when someone is asking a question about something that has factually happened in the past.

Job interviews are one of the few professional situations I really struggle to keep up that act though. Any question which is more open-ended, opinionated or about me as a person I find very difficult to answer. Even things as simple as a favourite band or something. 

I did consider having my mum with me for the appointments, but I also know she's extremely skeptical about things and so I'm not sure whether it'd be more of a hinderance than a help.

I too have no real friends. Anyone I know, I know online. Generally through playing the same games, or browsing forums etc. Because of that, we have a middle ground of a topic to talk about. Add to that the fact that when typing people don't generally expect an instantaneous answer as they do in person. There's no facial expressions to take into account and such. Of course, if things do become too much or awkward, it's very easy to end the conversation.

I've only had one real relationship, with someone I met online, though it only lasted about 6 months. One of the main problems being my awkwardness with personal contact. I think I said earlier I'm not even able to hug my mum or anything, that of course is very damaging to a relationship.

It really helps to see how other people do have very similar characteristics and problems as myself though. I was feeling quite down yesterday after seeing the doctor just because of how dismissive she was, I almost felt stupid for even suggesting I might have AS. I think now I will turn up prepared next time though, making sure to write down a detailed list of all my characteristics and example of how they affect me which might make things a little clearer.

• Hope said:

Socially, I can put on an extremely good act in professional situations, where I have a clear role, know what is expected of me, and where it is part of my routine: volunteering at Age UK on the till, for example, or interacting with my support worker or a doctor. At home it is another matter. My parents see the  most severe side of my Asperger's syndrome because I can only keep up the act for so long.

This is very much like myself. My family definitely get the full brunt of things, especially my problems with anger. Much like yourself though, I can put on a decent act in more professional situations, especially when someone is asking a question about something that has factually happened in the past.

Job interviews are one of the few professional situations I really struggle to keep up that act though. Any question which is more open-ended, opinionated or about me as a person I find very difficult to answer. Even things as simple as a favourite band or something. 

I did consider having my mum with me for the appointments, but I also know she's extremely skeptical about things and so I'm not sure whether it'd be more of a hinderance than a help.

I too have no real friends. Anyone I know, I know online. Generally through playing the same games, or browsing forums etc. Because of that, we have a middle ground of a topic to talk about. Add to that the fact that when typing people don't generally expect an instantaneous answer as they do in person. There's no facial expressions to take into account and such. Of course, if things do become too much or awkward, it's very easy to end the conversation.

I've only had one real relationship, with someone I met online, though it only lasted about 6 months. One of the main problems being my awkwardness with personal contact. I think I said earlier I'm not even able to hug my mum or anything, that of course is very damaging to a relationship.

It really helps to see how other people do have very similar characteristics and problems as myself though. I was feeling quite down yesterday after seeing the doctor just because of how dismissive she was, I almost felt stupid for even suggesting I might have AS. I think now I will turn up prepared next time though, making sure to write down a detailed list of all my characteristics and example of how they affect me which might make things a little clearer.

Children
No Data