Does late diagnosis lead to trauma?

I think it can, and there are a few articles online that explore how autism relates to trauma and PTSD. Compared to neurotypical people, trauma in autistic people has different causes and plays out in different ways.

Some examples: 

• Exclusion, exploitation or mistreatment by peers, leading to social phobia and mistrust of others
  • Isolation
  • Forcing oneself to put up with loud noises and bright light
  • Pressure and criticism from parents unaware of child's underlying limitations
  • Not knowing how to manage one's stress
  • Forcefully masking stress-relieving behaviours like stimming 
  • Suicidal thoughts in children, with no ability to rationalise or identify the root of these thoughts

Although there is a little research on the topic, I think it deserves more. I would guess that the above examples are all risk factors for depression, stress, alcoholism, heart disease, and a whole host of other health problems.

Parents
    • Exclusion, exploitation or mistreatment by peers, leading to social phobia and mistrust of others
    • Isolation

These three all characterise the so-called best days of my life. Yeah, school. There was something of a  bullying culture there, being a dreary non-selective comprehensive for all the local yokels for miles around. And I was acting out due to various dysfunction closer to home too. Once being singled out at 15 by the headmaster for not being present when two younger kids from the table I was supposed to be supervising and yelled at in front of the whole school and called 'idiot' "useless' and a complete dead loss and told I would never have that responsibility again still leave an undertaste of deep dark bitter and twistedness towards all authorities, not being that easy to forget either, nor being fired from some lousy weekend job at some crummy sweetshop for 'not being quick enough' are not that easy to forget either. 

I don't know about post-traumatic but I do remember feeling that if anyone were ever to have a go at me at work, then I would go completely ballistic - and once did, with unfortunate results, as this one had a florid go at me in return. That did not help with self-esteem and hidden angsts about the possibility of terminal personality defects and the taint of some dark and unnamed insanity making of me unemployable, a social parish of the most intractable dye (well I had to bring in a Poe-esque flourish somewhere). I certainly did not know how to deal with criticism and encountering workplace bullies, sometimes when it was not even paid work, all tha had a horrible feeling of inevitability too. 

Could have been worse though. One old boy from my school I got talking to later on did I suspect experience a worse kind of trauma. There was definitely the odd paedo in the mix too, I'd heard the rumours, and then eventually found out one had been convicted too. 

I just try to avoid triggering situations now. And getting enough sleep. Some language schools now recognise that sleep deprivation is no one's friend and don't put on anything that starts before dawn. Complaints from obstructive and officious security guards at some venues did lead to the dreaded complaints from sub contractors in my shameful history, your honour. 

• Isolation

These three all characterise the so-called best days of my life. Yeah, school. There was something of a  bullying culture there, being a dreary non-selective comprehensive for all the local yokels for miles around. And I was acting out due to various dysfunction closer to home too. Once being singled out at 15 by the headmaster for not being present when two younger kids from the table I was supposed to be supervising and yelled at in front of the whole school and called 'idiot' "useless' and a complete dead loss and told I would never have that responsibility again still leave an undertaste of deep dark bitter and twistedness towards all authorities, not being that easy to forget either, nor being fired from some lousy weekend job at some crummy sweetshop for 'not being quick enough' are not that easy to forget either. 

I don't know about post-traumatic but I do remember feeling that if anyone were ever to have a go at me at work, then I would go completely ballistic - and once did, with unfortunate results, as this one had a florid go at me in return. That did not help with self-esteem and hidden angsts about the possibility of terminal personality defects and the taint of some dark and unnamed insanity making of me unemployable, a social parish of the most intractable dye (well I had to bring in a Poe-esque flourish somewhere). I certainly did not know how to deal with criticism and encountering workplace bullies, sometimes when it was not even paid work, all tha had a horrible feeling of inevitability too. 

Could have been worse though. One old boy from my school I got talking to later on did I suspect experience a worse kind of trauma. There was definitely the odd paedo in the mix too, I'd heard the rumours, and then eventually found out one had been convicted too. 

I just try to avoid triggering situations now. And getting enough sleep. Some language schools now recognise that sleep deprivation is no one's friend and don't put on anything that starts before dawn. Complaints from obstructive and officious security guards at some venues did lead to the dreaded complaints from sub contractors in my shameful history, your honour. 

Children
No Data