Hospital Appointments

How do people deal with hospital appointments? I don't have much experience with them but they make me really anxious. I've been referred for a few since a doctor's appointment on Friday. I'm really worried because I don't know exactly what will happen or where to go etc. I'm also worried they are going to find something wrong so anxiety is through the roof at the moment. I also hate being touched so this isn't helping as I know they will have to touch me in order for the appointments to go ahead. I've got the dates for 2 of the appointments but there is also a 3rd. It should come through on a letter but I get worried that it won't come and I'll miss it but I feel silly ringing up to ask. It hasn't been very long I realise but the doctor did say the appointment should happen within 3 weeks. I also will have to ask for time off work which I hate. The whole thing just makes me feel physically sick. Does anyone have any good strategies for dealing with this stuff?

Parents
  • Do you have an alert card? I have an extreme sensitivity to flourescent lights. I also don't like being touched, I'm not too bad if there is a context to it though such as a doctor's appointment. If there isn't a context I can be pretty nasty.

I've found that when I present my alert card they are pretty accomodating on the day. Last time I went they found me somewhere to wait without the lights, my X-ray was called quickly, and they asked me if I was OK with being touched. Surprisingly prepared for Autism, quite refreshing!

As for appointments I always need a pretty long advance, say a month or so to prepare myself, I'm pretty much agoraphobic, so it always helps to have advance. If it gets sprung on me I do find it daunting.

One thing I don't worry about is if they find something wrong. They are as likely to find it's nothing to worry about, and if something is making me feel ill, I will be on the way to getting it sorted.

As for ringing them to ask, why not? That's their job. If they think I'm silly, it really doesn't matter. I don't know them and they will have forgotten my name within the hour. If you are polite, and not ringing 3 times a day, you will be the least of their worries. They deal with total arseholes, and pests. A polite phonecall probably is a good thing to them!

Hope you have an easy time of it all. Remember you'll probably be better off at the end!

• Thanks for your reply. I've been so recently diagnosed I haven't even had the report yet so I don't have anything to tell them I'm on the spectrum.

I can like you say deal with being touched in context when they examine you etc but this has only ever been for a few seconds. But I think with the nature of the appointments it will be significantly longer than that. I will tolerate it but it just makes me so uncomfortable. I'm worried about one in particular as it's an ultrasound and I don't like the idea of that jelly stuff they put on you.

I know I'm probably over thinking the whole thing but I just hate not knowing exactly what to expect.

• Hi Binary. I got told off by the Physiotherapist because I flinched when he touched my ankle lightly. After that I got the impression he thought I was exaggerating the pain I am in.

If I get a diagnosis I am going to explain my reactions to being touched at my next appointment. Also, if diagnosed, I am going to ask for a letter I can use while I am waiting for the report to be written. 

• That sounds like a great idea. I've just had to change dentist. My old one left. I'm not very keen on the new one. I don't think I could discuss anything like that with them unfortunately.

• I have an agreement with my dentist - if they do any work other than a descale, I wear in-ear headphones up loud so I can't concentrate on anything - she taps me on the shoulder when she's done.

Reply Children