Report on autistic people’s access to mental health services

This is an interesting Twitter thread and linked report regarding autistic people’s experienced mental health conditions and ability to access suitable services (I certainly personally recognise some of the difficulties expressed...):

https://mobile.twitter.com/cjcrompton/status/1060199479192838146

Parents
  • I absolutely agree with this! A very interesting link. Has anybody contacted them, or has anybody interacted with them?

After my breakdown at secondary school, I was then diagnosed with autism and OCD, later came PTSD from another source. I was taught at home by two home and hospital tutors, under special circumstances where I never saw the tutor’s faces. I was housebound, so my mother went to all the meetings, which involved psychologists and psychiatrists. Not only did they not understand, they clearly didn’t care, because everything they said they would do, they never did. My mother complained, but got nowhere with it. One psychiatrist, who seemed to work with young people in a medium I could work with, computers, only asked one question from me, whether I would work with him. I said I would, and we never saw him again. He completely disappeared, there was nowhere to find out where he went, nobody would tell my mother why? The psychiatrist who brought him, lied. These are people who are supposed to understand autism? Not only did they not understand, they don’t care what happens to them either.

• I absolutely agree with this! A very interesting link. Has anybody contacted them, or has anybody interacted with them?

After my breakdown at secondary school, I was then diagnosed with autism and OCD, later came PTSD from another source. I was taught at home by two home and hospital tutors, under special circumstances where I never saw the tutor’s faces. I was housebound, so my mother went to all the meetings, which involved psychologists and psychiatrists. Not only did they not understand, they clearly didn’t care, because everything they said they would do, they never did. My mother complained, but got nowhere with it. One psychiatrist, who seemed to work with young people in a medium I could work with, computers, only asked one question from me, whether I would work with him. I said I would, and we never saw him again. He completely disappeared, there was nowhere to find out where he went, nobody would tell my mother why? The psychiatrist who brought him, lied. These are people who are supposed to understand autism? Not only did they not understand, they don’t care what happens to them either.

Children
No Data