Younger brother

Hello everyone,

I've got a 13-year-old brother who currently weighs nearly 23 stone! His current daily diet is made up of (approximately):

4 packets of Walkers plain crips

4 small packets of white chocolate buttons

2 small strawberry yoghurts

bagels

4 bowls of vanilla ice cream

Galaxy chocolate

Sometimes he will have an apple, if I encourage him, and if they're cooked, a couple of pigs in blankets. But that is it.

I don't live at home with him, he lives alone with my mum who has to try and work full-time. Recently my aunt and uncle decided to weigh him while looking after him and that was what it came to.

Does anyone have any advice about how we can get him on new foods, because he simply refuses and runs a mile whenever we suggest trying something? It is hard on my mum also, trying to balance a full-time job with looking after him. Any help for is much appreciated, as I'm worried he could become diabetic or suffer from heart problems, along with other health issues no doubt!

Thanks for any help.

Dave 

Parents
  • Whilst his diet may need altering I was wondering if he is on any medication at all which may be contributing to his weight gain.My 14 year old son used to be on 2 risperidone tablets a day (1 in morning/1 in evening) and whilst he doesn't really overeat he still managed to put on 3 stone in just under a year.

Although some of this gain can be put down to other things such as his age/puberty/natural growth etc and the fact he is not the most active child the medication was one of the factors and has since been dropped to just one a day,plus we have been encouraging him to walk a lot more and also going to the nurses at the gp's surgery for dietary advice he is now slowly beginning to lose his excess weight.

So whilst his diet may be a contributing factor there may be many things contributing overall

• Whilst his diet may need altering I was wondering if he is on any medication at all which may be contributing to his weight gain.My 14 year old son used to be on 2 risperidone tablets a day (1 in morning/1 in evening) and whilst he doesn't really overeat he still managed to put on 3 stone in just under a year.

Although some of this gain can be put down to other things such as his age/puberty/natural growth etc and the fact he is not the most active child the medication was one of the factors and has since been dropped to just one a day,plus we have been encouraging him to walk a lot more and also going to the nurses at the gp's surgery for dietary advice he is now slowly beginning to lose his excess weight.

So whilst his diet may be a contributing factor there may be many things contributing overall

Children
No Data