increased depression and suicide rates in autistic adults

Depression is even more likely to affect those in the autism community than it affects neurotypicals and the non-disabled, because of the lifelong torture that people with autism go through on a daily basis. And people on the autism spectrum also have a high suicide risk, according to medical research and proven psychology articles. Which is why as someone with Asperger syndrome I find myself wondering if I will continue to suffer from depression and have thoughts of suicide for the rest of my life.

There was this group of ASD and Asperger Syndrome adults who had either contemplated suicide or considered doing so after being diagnosed at a clinic, because they ended up suffering from depression. I also heard about one autistic man who eventually committed suicide. I don't want to end up amongst those people - even though I won't be able to break free from my severe depression.

Parents
  • There is a question whether this phenomenon of suicide amongst middle aged and older adults will continue in the future or decrease. Does it have anything to do with bad childhoods as a result of undiagnosed ASD whereas the younger generation with ASD are more likely to be diagnosed and offered recognition and support as children and teenagers?

Despite all the stuff about todays youth being a hard done by generation, I find that younger adults with Asperger Syndrome tend to be reasonably happy and confident people whereas many over the age of 40 are miserable and depressed, and often talk about their ruined childhoods as a result of them being misunderstood or accused of being badly behaved. Some who were children in the 1980s and early 90s are upset that Lorna Wing didn't do more to publicise AS because more awareness could have spared them injustices that they received.

• This is all very interesting - I'm AS, aged 52, 10 years since diagnosis - chronically depressed & suffering from a serious auto-immune problem - I may as well book my funeral now. Grinning

I was a super-bright kid - got really bored in school. Ended up as a chartered engineer - I've got a whole bunch of letters after my name anda pile of certificates an inch thick. Been married 28 years to a professional councelor - she says she can't 'read me' - I'm a blank wall to her.

• This is all very interesting - I'm AS, aged 52, 10 years since diagnosis - chronically depressed & suffering from a serious auto-immune problem - I may as well book my funeral now. Grinning

I was a super-bright kid - got really bored in school. Ended up as a chartered engineer - I've got a whole bunch of letters after my name anda pile of certificates an inch thick. Been married 28 years to a professional councelor - she says she can't 'read me' - I'm a blank wall to her.

Children
No Data