Diabetes type 1

Hello

Just joined here. i was just wondering wether there is any parent out there with an autistic child that also has type 1 diabetes like my daughter. She was diagnosed last may and totally out of the blue. would be nice to share ideas or just to know there is some else who understands

Thank you

Parents
  • Both my wife and myself are diagnosed autistics.  My wife is a type one diabetic.

My wife has been using an insulin pump for a year now, and it has changed our lives.  Previously her type - 1 was so aggressive we kept Glucogen glucose syringes in our fridge.  The ambulance crews carry them.  My wife could literally keel over without warning.  I can spot a type one hypo at a distance.  I know the body language, the way ones mind goes..the lot. 

My wife was overdosing on 0.5 relative units from a childs pen!  The smallest possible dose that can be injected from a 'stick pen'.  We discovered due to the insulin pump that she needed an average hit of 0.025.  We are both middle aged but we've kept ourselves very healthy.  Hence she did not need an 'ordinary' adult amount of insulin for daily, ordinary use.

I would be glad to give anyone her email address?  If you have adhd syle autistic people, sugar rushes have to be dealt with in a fun way?  Off you go down that road!  It is hard to determine what is your inbuilt hyperactivity (relative to those slow minded, crawling snails that Neurotypicals are to us) and what is a product of the body.

Bear in mind though, that hyper levels of sugar give you a headache and befuddle you.  Hypo's get you roaring drunk and on the floor.  Sounds to me like your children are just plain speedy?  The yo-yo states of physical being mean that once you are 'in the average blood-sugar zone', your children may been free and relieved and proceed to celebrate by running around, enjoying their own energies?

I used to get that when I'd been sitting still for a while as a child (an amazing and perverse thing to do, and very boring) and loved to tear around.  Bear in mind also that what's natural for you guys is not so for us?  It can take a lot of getting used to, realizing that you may be trying to cessate and limit expressions of physical and mental joy.  Hyperactive is a relative term.  We are often made to fly, when Neurotypicals think that 'normal' and 'healthy' is to clip our wings, sedate us, and cultivate depression through making us inert?

It is a fine line to tread, and only coming to know your autistic child can reward you with knowing what's good for them and what is just plain off the scale and driving you mad and best avoided.  I think its the nature of my kind that many times, parents cannot tell.  You need autistic children who can relate to themselves in a way few can.  So many of you just wont win with diabetes and autism, but as a rule I'd keep a back garden or a room clear of breakable and harmful objects, let them in and wait till they get bored flying around?  Or fall down.  As I said, both elements make for a scenario I would doubt it is able to cope with as completely as all you mums and dads want to?  Sorry.

Thanks, Paul.

• Both my wife and myself are diagnosed autistics.  My wife is a type one diabetic.

My wife has been using an insulin pump for a year now, and it has changed our lives.  Previously her type - 1 was so aggressive we kept Glucogen glucose syringes in our fridge.  The ambulance crews carry them.  My wife could literally keel over without warning.  I can spot a type one hypo at a distance.  I know the body language, the way ones mind goes..the lot. 

My wife was overdosing on 0.5 relative units from a childs pen!  The smallest possible dose that can be injected from a 'stick pen'.  We discovered due to the insulin pump that she needed an average hit of 0.025.  We are both middle aged but we've kept ourselves very healthy.  Hence she did not need an 'ordinary' adult amount of insulin for daily, ordinary use.

I would be glad to give anyone her email address?  If you have adhd syle autistic people, sugar rushes have to be dealt with in a fun way?  Off you go down that road!  It is hard to determine what is your inbuilt hyperactivity (relative to those slow minded, crawling snails that Neurotypicals are to us) and what is a product of the body.

Bear in mind though, that hyper levels of sugar give you a headache and befuddle you.  Hypo's get you roaring drunk and on the floor.  Sounds to me like your children are just plain speedy?  The yo-yo states of physical being mean that once you are 'in the average blood-sugar zone', your children may been free and relieved and proceed to celebrate by running around, enjoying their own energies?

I used to get that when I'd been sitting still for a while as a child (an amazing and perverse thing to do, and very boring) and loved to tear around.  Bear in mind also that what's natural for you guys is not so for us?  It can take a lot of getting used to, realizing that you may be trying to cessate and limit expressions of physical and mental joy.  Hyperactive is a relative term.  We are often made to fly, when Neurotypicals think that 'normal' and 'healthy' is to clip our wings, sedate us, and cultivate depression through making us inert?

It is a fine line to tread, and only coming to know your autistic child can reward you with knowing what's good for them and what is just plain off the scale and driving you mad and best avoided.  I think its the nature of my kind that many times, parents cannot tell.  You need autistic children who can relate to themselves in a way few can.  So many of you just wont win with diabetes and autism, but as a rule I'd keep a back garden or a room clear of breakable and harmful objects, let them in and wait till they get bored flying around?  Or fall down.  As I said, both elements make for a scenario I would doubt it is able to cope with as completely as all you mums and dads want to?  Sorry.

Thanks, Paul.

Children
No Data