Diabetes type 1

Hello

Just joined here. i was just wondering wether there is any parent out there with an autistic child that also has type 1 diabetes like my daughter. She was diagnosed last may and totally out of the blue. would be nice to share ideas or just to know there is some else who understands

Thank you

Parents
  • Not sure if this is still active, however I have just stumbled across it and thought I'd give it a try - esecially as the FB page is now a closed group.

Hi there,

I'm a proud dad of two. Aiden and Matthew

Matthew (the youngest) was semi-like any normal child, although since birth had a problem with feeding, would scream all the time (not just a typical child - trust me) and he was very constipated, and would vomit alot. After months of battling the health professionals considered it was reflux - pipes were put inside him (poor soul) and it wasnt. A GP said on the offchance he may be lactose intollerant as I myself have some issues with milk and cream - fair enough...

After changing milk it seemed much better - till 18 month and whilst I was at work he'd taken a turn, and was rushed into hospital with a very very high blood sugars. Apparently he'd gotten very thursty and was drinking bottle after bottle..  Anyway. He was diagnosed with Type 1.

At about the same time we noticed some odd traits about AIden (our older child) odd wee things, like susceptable to some noises, biscuits had to be round, crisps couldnt have a crack in them - we thought he was just playing up. He was diagnosed with Asbergers in April -- although its only classed now as Autism, for our own reference (the family) we class him as having Asbergers.

Our youngest has Always been rather odd - doing wierd and wonderful things.. As he's diabetic its been neigh-enough impossible to get his numbers stable. We do everything by the book and it has the exact opposite effect. So after a long and hard finger pointing battle the hospital have put him on the list for a 'pump' which is meant to solve all our problems.. bed wetting, his erratic blood results, his baby-like behaviour and constant moods. SO he's meant to be fitted in a few weeks. We would never have guessed anything was really wrong with our oldest - he would cover his ears and we thought it was an ear infection or something... he was diagnosed as having Asbergers though.

AFter our eldest was diagnosed with Asbergers we noticed similar traits as our eldest as with our youngest - so he's in the middle of being assessed. He'll have a diagnoses by October - however we're already confidently reassured by numerous professionals that he will have a diagnosis of Autism.

He has no long started school - and due to his Diabetes being so erratic he is only in a few hours a day, yes they are gradually increasing his time at the school, ut its not really fair on him.. but we can also see why.. THe hospital have sent someone to teach the school insulin training and pump therapy without taking Matthew into account. For example when he is hypo (as in less than 2) he can run a marathon. THis in't an individual case, he's always buzzing. THen the Glucagel is meant to shoot him back up again - we've been through 3 once and it brought him up .1 and then went down again and then up .1 again, then somehow after 3 he only rose to 5. Then other times he rises to 12 straight away. DOesnt really make much sense.. So the school witnessed this and theyre OF COURSE scared, so theyre taking a step back.. I can appreciate that.

However. Why send a nurse to teach Insulin and Pump therapy without fore warning that everything they are teaching doesnt properly work in regards to Matthew and extra care must be take in regards to his care - rather than textbook teaching them to believe a simple injection of x solves the day?!?

Next point. The Hospital have swore blindely that the 'pump' will solve our every problems. Now, we have been a bit causious of the pump and didnt really want to go with it, but as his health is at risk it's best... However, Can it really regulate the Bloods the way the claim it does - and the bed wetting - the Behaviours? Or is it going to be more hassel than its worth? I am not wanting him to be more distressed tha he needs be. THe stresses of all this have already drove me and his mum apart and we are nolonger a couple, however we're trying the best for our children.

We have raised numerous points with the Hospital and have had no real reasoning.. So, if anyone has had an Autistic AND DIabetic Child, can you please get in touch. Does the pump help when they are that young (yes, maybe for typical children, but what about Autistic children who are more sensitive?) what about the fact that he is having a Hypo and is still running about, he never seems to get tired.. can that be due to the Autism side over-ruling the rest ? (as in, if he wants to play the narrow view he will play and his HYpo wont stop him?) and lastly, he seems to be in a world of his own, baby-time - like he hasnt, or doesnt want to grow older. He talks a bit odd to the side.. but .. well.. really the big question is, Does all this get any better?

• Not sure if this is still active, however I have just stumbled across it and thought I'd give it a try - esecially as the FB page is now a closed group.

Hi there,

I'm a proud dad of two. Aiden and Matthew

Matthew (the youngest) was semi-like any normal child, although since birth had a problem with feeding, would scream all the time (not just a typical child - trust me) and he was very constipated, and would vomit alot. After months of battling the health professionals considered it was reflux - pipes were put inside him (poor soul) and it wasnt. A GP said on the offchance he may be lactose intollerant as I myself have some issues with milk and cream - fair enough...

After changing milk it seemed much better - till 18 month and whilst I was at work he'd taken a turn, and was rushed into hospital with a very very high blood sugars. Apparently he'd gotten very thursty and was drinking bottle after bottle..  Anyway. He was diagnosed with Type 1.

At about the same time we noticed some odd traits about AIden (our older child) odd wee things, like susceptable to some noises, biscuits had to be round, crisps couldnt have a crack in them - we thought he was just playing up. He was diagnosed with Asbergers in April -- although its only classed now as Autism, for our own reference (the family) we class him as having Asbergers.

Our youngest has Always been rather odd - doing wierd and wonderful things.. As he's diabetic its been neigh-enough impossible to get his numbers stable. We do everything by the book and it has the exact opposite effect. So after a long and hard finger pointing battle the hospital have put him on the list for a 'pump' which is meant to solve all our problems.. bed wetting, his erratic blood results, his baby-like behaviour and constant moods. SO he's meant to be fitted in a few weeks. We would never have guessed anything was really wrong with our oldest - he would cover his ears and we thought it was an ear infection or something... he was diagnosed as having Asbergers though.

AFter our eldest was diagnosed with Asbergers we noticed similar traits as our eldest as with our youngest - so he's in the middle of being assessed. He'll have a diagnoses by October - however we're already confidently reassured by numerous professionals that he will have a diagnosis of Autism.

He has no long started school - and due to his Diabetes being so erratic he is only in a few hours a day, yes they are gradually increasing his time at the school, ut its not really fair on him.. but we can also see why.. THe hospital have sent someone to teach the school insulin training and pump therapy without taking Matthew into account. For example when he is hypo (as in less than 2) he can run a marathon. THis in't an individual case, he's always buzzing. THen the Glucagel is meant to shoot him back up again - we've been through 3 once and it brought him up .1 and then went down again and then up .1 again, then somehow after 3 he only rose to 5. Then other times he rises to 12 straight away. DOesnt really make much sense.. So the school witnessed this and theyre OF COURSE scared, so theyre taking a step back.. I can appreciate that.

However. Why send a nurse to teach Insulin and Pump therapy without fore warning that everything they are teaching doesnt properly work in regards to Matthew and extra care must be take in regards to his care - rather than textbook teaching them to believe a simple injection of x solves the day?!?

Next point. The Hospital have swore blindely that the 'pump' will solve our every problems. Now, we have been a bit causious of the pump and didnt really want to go with it, but as his health is at risk it's best... However, Can it really regulate the Bloods the way the claim it does - and the bed wetting - the Behaviours? Or is it going to be more hassel than its worth? I am not wanting him to be more distressed tha he needs be. THe stresses of all this have already drove me and his mum apart and we are nolonger a couple, however we're trying the best for our children.

We have raised numerous points with the Hospital and have had no real reasoning.. So, if anyone has had an Autistic AND DIabetic Child, can you please get in touch. Does the pump help when they are that young (yes, maybe for typical children, but what about Autistic children who are more sensitive?) what about the fact that he is having a Hypo and is still running about, he never seems to get tired.. can that be due to the Autism side over-ruling the rest ? (as in, if he wants to play the narrow view he will play and his HYpo wont stop him?) and lastly, he seems to be in a world of his own, baby-time - like he hasnt, or doesnt want to grow older. He talks a bit odd to the side.. but .. well.. really the big question is, Does all this get any better?

Children
No Data