Hospitals not ASD friendly

I have had to go to A and E and found the experience deeply uncomfortable.  Lots of people noise etc.  

I also have had to wait over a month and a half for a breathing issue to do with my throat.  Despite my Gp saying it was urgent.  

I got told many reasons why I had to wait so long.  Inconsistency, a real pain with my suspected ASD.  This prolonged agony got me thinking,  do hospitals really understand ASD?

Think of their layout and lack of facilities.

Does anyone else think this?

Parents
  • My most recent experience in this regard was with a service user at work - a lad with low-functioning autism.  He cut himself quite badly and had to go to A & E.  It was all quite positive, in the end.  The paramedic on the ambulance crew was an Aspie... and when he got to hospital, they put him straight in a room by himself and he was attended to by a nurse who was fully-experienced with dealing with autism.  It may be, though, that his low-functioning status, with the additional risks that posed, meant that he got special treatment.

I hate attending A & E for myself, though.  I tend to sit in the toilets rather than in the waiting rooms.  I guess the 'friendliness' or otherwise in regard to ASC will differ between establishments.  Not just with ASC, too.  On my mother's final trip to A & E, a week before she passed away, it was like a cattle market when we arrived.  The noise and bustle were very distressing for her (as well as for me).  They managed to find mum a curtained-off space, but it was still very noisy - and we had a long wait.  The staff did what they could, though, given the demands on their limited resources. 

• My most recent experience in this regard was with a service user at work - a lad with low-functioning autism.  He cut himself quite badly and had to go to A & E.  It was all quite positive, in the end.  The paramedic on the ambulance crew was an Aspie... and when he got to hospital, they put him straight in a room by himself and he was attended to by a nurse who was fully-experienced with dealing with autism.  It may be, though, that his low-functioning status, with the additional risks that posed, meant that he got special treatment.

I hate attending A & E for myself, though.  I tend to sit in the toilets rather than in the waiting rooms.  I guess the 'friendliness' or otherwise in regard to ASC will differ between establishments.  Not just with ASC, too.  On my mother's final trip to A & E, a week before she passed away, it was like a cattle market when we arrived.  The noise and bustle were very distressing for her (as well as for me).  They managed to find mum a curtained-off space, but it was still very noisy - and we had a long wait.  The staff did what they could, though, given the demands on their limited resources. 

Children
No Data