Diagnosis of sensory differences

I read an article on  "Sensory Differences" and it mentioned the following:

" Noise
 Smell
 Visual
 Touch
 Taste/Texture
 Motor (Vestibular & Proprioception)

People with ASD are often over- or under-sensitive in any or all of these senses

Sensory sensitivities may increase as a result of anxiety".

I live in Central Scotland.  I am interested in knowing if there is somewhere where I could be assessed on each of these senses to find out figures showing to what degree I might differ from neuro-typical people.  Does anyone know if this service is available, and if so where and how much does it cost, please?

Parents
  • I was really helped by reading some books about sensory issues in ASD. I notice the book that helped me most has not been translated into English. For me becoming aware of issues has been a real help. In the past I just used bear it all. I thought it was normal for everybody or that I shouldn't feel that way. I have since been told that it costs a lot of energy to keep suppressing these things.

For me, sensory (tactile) hypersensitivity is a huge issue. Long before I got my diagnosis I started adjusting my wardrobe and it is such a relief you can't believe it. And to hell with what others think :-) and also: bamboo sheets. Not buying certain materials. It really makes a huge difference.  I still find it quite a novel idea that not everyone feels touch the way I do :) 

It is also very very enlightening why I found gym lessons and "dancing" in later life so stressful. 

In this book there were questionnaires to help you discover and think about what the things are that upset you most. Maybe there is an English list of this sort? 

• I was really helped by reading some books about sensory issues in ASD. I notice the book that helped me most has not been translated into English. For me becoming aware of issues has been a real help. In the past I just used bear it all. I thought it was normal for everybody or that I shouldn't feel that way. I have since been told that it costs a lot of energy to keep suppressing these things.

For me, sensory (tactile) hypersensitivity is a huge issue. Long before I got my diagnosis I started adjusting my wardrobe and it is such a relief you can't believe it. And to hell with what others think :-) and also: bamboo sheets. Not buying certain materials. It really makes a huge difference.  I still find it quite a novel idea that not everyone feels touch the way I do :) 

It is also very very enlightening why I found gym lessons and "dancing" in later life so stressful. 

In this book there were questionnaires to help you discover and think about what the things are that upset you most. Maybe there is an English list of this sort? 

Children