Lack of thirst

Hi my 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with high functioning autism in August 2017.  She has never drunk much and says she never experiences thirst.  This resulted in her being hospitalised this weekend for rehydration.  Even though my daughter is very intelligent I can't get her to believe that she needs to drink more.  Even though she ended up in hospital she had no physical shmptoms of dehydration, it was a blood test that highlighted it.  As far as my daughter is concerned no physical symptoms = not important.  Has anyone else any experience of no sensation of thirst with their ASC CHILD/adult?  Thank you.

Parents
  • I'm the same (adult woman HFA/Aspergers) - I don't get thirsty and if I didn't drink because I know I am supposed to, I would probably end up dehydrated like your daughter. I never thought of the possibility of this being autism-related! I thought it was just another of my little oddities. I don't mind drinking water, but that is as an adult, when I  was a your daughter's age it'd be lemon squash normally.

• I'm the same (adult woman HFA/Aspergers) - I don't get thirsty and if I didn't drink because I know I am supposed to, I would probably end up dehydrated like your daughter. I never thought of the possibility of this being autism-related! I thought it was just another of my little oddities. I don't mind drinking water, but that is as an adult, when I  was a your daughter's age it'd be lemon squash normally.

Children
No Data