Chris Packham: Asperger's and Me 9pm BBC 2 12/10/2017

Anyone going to watch / discuss?  Looks interesting though I expect lack of empathy may be going to be applied like a blanket as usual and the Radio Times mentions 'cures' !!

Parents
  • This programme has been a revelation for me.

I will add that this is my first post on this forum so hello all.

As soon as he started describing the thought processes at the start the penny dropped. It had never occurred to me that most people thought differently as it was exactly how I think even down to the WW2 tanks (we are of the same generation). The way things cascade and don't stop,

As the programme went on it was just more of the same as to how it feels and how you cop (rehearsing conversions and filtering everything you say mercilessly) and it also explains a huge amount about relationships. My ex wife used to accuse me of being on the spectrum when we were having the inevitable arguments and it turns out she was right, I have always been terrible at reading people (a good friend of mine was in love with me for years and I never noticed) but thought this was par for the course,

I am 53 so this has been a bit of a shock and a clarification at the same time. I am a computer programmer by trade and the way my brain works might have helped as I can see code patterns and application designs in my head and have never understood how my colleagues have to sit around and agonise over this for hours.

My current partner knew all along so i was the last to find out

Anyway, i am so glad that Chis made the show and that I watched it

• I first started identifying my autistic traits a few monthsago after reading Laura James' book. Like you, my partner wasn't a bit surprised at the idea. I have relatives who work with people with autism and I certainly wonder if they have had 'suspicions' about me... I don't feel inclined to discuss it with them and it's a bit embarrassing to think of being the last to know!

• Hi Fuchsia

have you come across the Tania Marshall female Aspie profile and done an AQ test.

https://taniaannmarshall.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/moving-towards-a-female-profile-the-unique-characteristics-abilities-and-talents-of-asperwomen-adult-women-with-asperger-syndrome/

I haven’t told my family....told my husband.....once he’s processed it (he thinks slow! Lol) ...I might tell my dad x

• Hi, sorry to butt in but I noticed you mentioned Tania Marshall.

I found her work a while ago and found myself in bullet points in her female profile Grin

When my therapist first mentioned I might have Autism I searched online and wasn't totally offended by the bias towards males as I have always thought I might have a male brain or something! 

But to find a very extensive ( and accurate for me ) Female profile was enlightening.

I'd definitely recommend females on the spectrum look at her work.

• Ha ha sounds like you, me and Fuchsia could have a good game of snap ;-)

• Moggsyband Fuchsia...big love to you both....

kooks and wonderful the both of you x

• Embarrassingly, I think my boss sussed it before I did, but I believe he has a son with Aspergers, so probably observed some things that made him think 'oh, I see what we have here'

A lot of the things on the Tania Marshall list caught me by surprise too (walking into doorframes - check; tocophobia - check). I think what surprised me the most was the number of things that I never would have dreamed could be connected, and likely are.

My lovely OH watched the Chris Packham program on Sunday, which he found interesting, and then slogged his way though the Tania Marshall female profile (no small order as he's dyslexic and it's long!) He was poking me and laughing "yup, that's you" on each one he agreed with. That was a lot of poking. I may even have a bruise that's not down to walking into something - Lol!

• Hello Ellie (if I may call you that). I've just looked at the Tania Marshall link - wow! I can relate to so many of the traits she lists. Some took me by surprise, especially in the Physiology/Neurology section ie clumsiness and bruising; I actually went to the GP a few weeks ago because my legs were so bruised. No explanation for it other than clumsiness! And hunger - major problem if I don't get my meals on time. And auditory processing issues. And who knew there was a thing called 'tocophobia' (fear of childbirth)? Never knew there was a name for it. Fascinating site so many thanks for suggesting it.

• Lol....My OH is trying to get it...the classic was when I showed him the Chris Packham programme..well I put the iPad under his nose!

is he one of those people with a funny head like you?”

urm....

****head desk*****

yes....that is the thing i’ve been telling you about for the past 4 months! 

Sigh....

anyhow....all fun and giggle here! Lol Joy 

have you read the following? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22226939-nerdy-shy-and-socially-inappropriate

Reply Children
No Data