Chris Packham: Asperger's and Me 9pm BBC 2 12/10/2017

Anyone going to watch / discuss?  Looks interesting though I expect lack of empathy may be going to be applied like a blanket as usual and the Radio Times mentions 'cures' !!

Parents
  • This programme has been a revelation for me.

I will add that this is my first post on this forum so hello all.

As soon as he started describing the thought processes at the start the penny dropped. It had never occurred to me that most people thought differently as it was exactly how I think even down to the WW2 tanks (we are of the same generation). The way things cascade and don't stop,

As the programme went on it was just more of the same as to how it feels and how you cop (rehearsing conversions and filtering everything you say mercilessly) and it also explains a huge amount about relationships. My ex wife used to accuse me of being on the spectrum when we were having the inevitable arguments and it turns out she was right, I have always been terrible at reading people (a good friend of mine was in love with me for years and I never noticed) but thought this was par for the course,

I am 53 so this has been a bit of a shock and a clarification at the same time. I am a computer programmer by trade and the way my brain works might have helped as I can see code patterns and application designs in my head and have never understood how my colleagues have to sit around and agonise over this for hours.

My current partner knew all along so i was the last to find out

Anyway, i am so glad that Chis made the show and that I watched it

• Snap - me too! I bet there are a lot of us programmers out there who would be different from most folks, especially in our thought processes, but because we're all a bit different, nobody really notices! I'm with you on the patterns thing. It definitely helps

• Also a programmer! Lol

• Crikey...i’m nerd herding....what amazing people you are! 

Fixed one bug..got 10 more! 

how many programmers does it take to fix a light bulb....? 

drumroll.....

boom

none, its a hardware issue

thank you and goodnight! 

• Absolutely the same here. I worked in investment banking for a while and always got the weirdest bugs to sort out.

Having said that it can be horrible working in other people's randomly put together code. It is like a toddler threw some bits up in the air and let them land and resisting the urge to refactor everything is difficult,

You are right in that code is simple and life is difficult and I am happy that work is not an issue. It is a comfort.

• Really? Wow this is pretty funny. Mind you, I have a theory about that. We spend out lives being told "you're too black and white". I think that's why computers, and particular programming, appeals to us. Black and white, ones and zeroes, true or false. No maybe, no vagueness, it either is or it isn't. If, then, else. Wouldn't it be nice if you could analyse life like that? I think that is why I find programming very comforting. 

Oddly enough for most things in life I have the lowest patience levels that most people have ever seen. Give me a bug in code though and I will go at it for hours, like a terrier after a rat. Sometimes I will even dream about it.

• Really? Wow this is pretty funny. Mind you, I have a theory about that. We spend out lives being told "you're too black and white". I think that's why computers, and particular programming, appeals to us. Black and white, ones and zeroes, true or false. No maybe, no vagueness, it either is or it isn't. If, then, else. Wouldn't it be nice if you could analyse life like that? I think that is why I find programming very comforting. 

Oddly enough for most things in life I have the lowest patience levels that most people have ever seen. Give me a bug in code though and I will go at it for hours, like a terrier after a rat. Sometimes I will even dream about it.

Children
  • Crikey...i’m nerd herding....what amazing people you are! 

Fixed one bug..got 10 more! 

how many programmers does it take to fix a light bulb....? 

drumroll.....

boom

none, its a hardware issue

thank you and goodnight! 

• Absolutely the same here. I worked in investment banking for a while and always got the weirdest bugs to sort out.

Having said that it can be horrible working in other people's randomly put together code. It is like a toddler threw some bits up in the air and let them land and resisting the urge to refactor everything is difficult,

You are right in that code is simple and life is difficult and I am happy that work is not an issue. It is a comfort.