To Get A Formal Diagnosis or Not? ADVICE please!

I visited my GP yesterday and spoke to her for the first time about Aspie’s. She said that she would refer me if I wanted but posed the question what would it achieve? Or rather what would I want to achieve? What are my reasons for seeking one? 

I need some opinions and experience about self-diagnosis vs formal diagnosis...I have some reasons already which I will inevitably list at some point...

but for now I’m just interested in a general opinion so I can make the choice a little easier...

many thanks for your helps!

Parents
  • Hi Everyone, This is very interesting. I was told I have autism when I was 44, I will be 50 soon. When you are an adult there is little reason for a formal diagnosis. However, knowing if you are on the spectrum can be very helpful. It can be helpful for the people around you, it will help them understand why you do the things you do. It can be helpful by allowing you to find help to understand why you do the things you do.

Knowing what a problem is means you have a chance to address the issues caused by the problem. There are coping strategies that can help you navigate the wider world around you. Knowing you are not the only one, you are not alone.

I now work as an Autism Advisor for Barnet Mencap and we recognise that it is hard to get a diagnosis and there is a long waiting list. While waiting the anxiety and issues do not go away. With this in mind we are offering Adults who live in the London Borough of Barnet free Autism screening.

We also will be offering post screening, life and action planning as well as a number of services designed to help people understand their Autism and the wider world in general.

If you live in Barnet and would like to speak to me for advice or a screening please call Russell on 0208 349 3842

• Hi Everyone, This is very interesting. I was told I have autism when I was 44, I will be 50 soon. When you are an adult there is little reason for a formal diagnosis. However, knowing if you are on the spectrum can be very helpful. It can be helpful for the people around you, it will help them understand why you do the things you do. It can be helpful by allowing you to find help to understand why you do the things you do.

Knowing what a problem is means you have a chance to address the issues caused by the problem. There are coping strategies that can help you navigate the wider world around you. Knowing you are not the only one, you are not alone.

I now work as an Autism Advisor for Barnet Mencap and we recognise that it is hard to get a diagnosis and there is a long waiting list. While waiting the anxiety and issues do not go away. With this in mind we are offering Adults who live in the London Borough of Barnet free Autism screening.

We also will be offering post screening, life and action planning as well as a number of services designed to help people understand their Autism and the wider world in general.

If you live in Barnet and would like to speak to me for advice or a screening please call Russell on 0208 349 3842

Children
No Data